Contender question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Contender question

Guys,

I've got an older T/C Contender Serial # 42xxx

I remember reading or hearing something somewhere that these older frames were unsuitable for the JDJ cartidges.

I've got a .35 Rem barrel that I've been thinking about sending to J.D. to rechamber.

Any thoughts on the frame problem? It does have the Easy Open conversion done to it.

Also, any thoughts on the .358 JDJ cartridge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 12:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Contender question

The frame will be fine for a JD conversion.His rounds keep pressures well below what the contenders can handle.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 12:58 AM
Frequent Contributor

it will be a handfull
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 01:04 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I shoot a 309 JDJ and a 375 JDJ both are stiff but still quite managable...AND accurate as heck!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Anything to compare the recoil to?

I have ZERO problems shooting the .35 Rem.

This is a concern of mine. Of course, I was also warned about the recoil of a 10" .30-30 and I found that to be kind of fun to shoot rather than hard to manage.
Anag
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 11:59 AM

I've heard that the 30-30 in a 10" contender barrel isn't the best choice. I was told this is because it can't get to the needed velocity for the 30-30 cartridge.
I have a original contender with the easy open. It has a 10" ported 44mag barrel on it. I also have a Ruger SRH in 44 with a 9 1/2" barrel. I don't know it is me, but I find the SRH easier to handle. Maybe because of the weight. I was given the contender by my new wife (recently married). It's really a beautiful piece, the engrave couger, the barrel has the high quality bluing, a 2X burris scope, have trigger extention, the packmier grips (the ones with the little bronze medal in the middle). Really a excellent condition condenter. I'm new to the contender family!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I have gotten rid of the 10" .30-30. I don't know if it is or isn't the best choice, but it was one H**L of an accurate barrel.

Kept 5 shots under a nickel at 100 yards with my Burris 3x-9x.

I'm a lapsed contender shooter and looking to return to the fold.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

JD conversions are only ok for the longer barrels 14-16". not pistols in my opinion.
I have a 10 inch 30 Herrett, and a 12 inch 375 w that are hard to beat. the 10 inch 358 herrett is really a slammer.

My 375 w gives me 1710 fps with a 270 grain bullet out of my 10 inch barrel. The first 7 years i hunted it, I killed 8 whitetails with it all one shot and none ran. the JDJ with a 12.5 inch barrel only get 1772 fps, from the published loads. You can only burn so much powder out of a given length barrel, no matter how much powder you put in. remember, more case capacity, means more powder is needed to get the same muzzle velocity, and if it can't be burnt in the barrel it just slows down the bullet.

What jdj were you thinking about?

I'd first look to the t/c contender line of cartridges, like the herrett, 6.5 tcu, 7 tcu, etc
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrysigafoo
JD conversions are only ok for the longer barrels 14-16". not pistols in my opinion.
I have a 10 inch 30 Herrett, and a 12 inch 375 w that are hard to beat. the 10 inch 358 herrett is really a slammer.

My 375 w gives me 1710 fps with a 270 grain bullet out of my 10 inch barrel. The first 7 years i hunted it, I killed 8 whitetails with it all one shot and none ran. the JDJ with a 12.5 inch barrel only get 1772 fps, from the published loads. You can only burn so much powder out of a given length barrel, no matter how much powder you put in. remember, more case capacity, means more powder is needed to get the same muzzle velocity, and if it can't be burnt in the barrel it just slows down the bullet.

What jdj were you thinking about?

I'd first look to the t/c contender line of cartridges, like the herrett, 6.5 tcu, 7 tcu, etc
Sorry it took me so long to get back. I had almost forgotten about this question.

I'm thinking about a .358 JDJ on my 14" .35 Rem barrel.

I've just never really dealt with a wildcat cartridge like that, so I'm a little nervous about it.

I might just unload the .35 on someone and pick up a different barrel.

My biggest concern, and that has already been answered, was the question of frame strength. I seemed to recall being told that the older T/C frames were unsuitable for larger cartridges.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page