School me on a new carry gun - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

School me on a new carry gun

I'm in the market for a new carry gun, I'm not a pistol guy. Right now o have a Ruger SP101. I bought it for reliabilIty and lack of maintenance required.

Here is what I know, I want a 45 single stack, I really like the XDS. What I don't know is what other options are out there that are as good or better that are similar to the XDS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 12:24 AM
Part of the Community

Re: School me on a new carry gun

I liked the XDS as well and was pretty much set on getting one until I ran across the Ruger SR1911 Commander and that's what I ended up buying. At least give them a look. I know there was a big price jump on the 2016 they are now $750ish due to some cosmetic upgrades but last years model is at a local gun shop for $659 right now. I love mine and will never part with it.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 03:33 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Reliabilty and lack of maintenance sounds like a glock any reason you want a single stack or 45?

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 04:54 AM

My small carry gun is a Kahr CM9, which suits me well. They have single stack .45 options, are made in the USA, and are reasonably economical. They recommend a 200-round break-in for optimal reliability, although I've had nary an issue with over 400 down the pipe.

As always, I recommend going to a good local gun store and putting as many of them in you hand as possible before making your choice. There's lots of good options out there... buy what feels comfortable in your hand, and worry less about the brand (unless there's known reliability issues with said brand). Good luck.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

No particular reason for a single stack other than being narrow and more compact for carrying. And a 45 just because of the cool factor they have and the added stopping power. I think it's the biggest small gun you can carry comfortably. But I'm not sure, that's why I posted the question
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 08:30 AM

The xds 45 is my go to carry gun. You hardly know you are carrying it and it fits me well. Almost the same size as a keltec 9mm.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 09:03 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

With todays self defense ammo 147 grain 9mill will perform with any .45 or 40. and with 9 mill you will carry more rounds, and have easier follow up shots, cheaper ammo to train with. Having owned and shot single stack .45s, (no longer own them), getting quick follow shots on a small frame 45, is something thats hard to master. Having taken handgun courses specifically for self defense, i find it interesting that the majority of instructors, ex-special forces mainly carry glock 19s, 17s, and m and p pros. Not trying to push my opinion on anyone, but coolness factor of a .45 is nice, but IMO in a self defense situation its not about whats cool its about what will get you back home alive. Id rather have more ammo on hand and not need it than not enough.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 09:18 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have the XDS in 9mm and I love it. It's heavier than my buddy's Glock 43 but because of that, it's a lot easier to shoot.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 09:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I carry a SW M&P Shield in 40 cal. Nice carry piece. Lightweight and Conceal easily.

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 04:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The SP 101 with 125gr Magnum hollow points will out perform everything.

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page