Cantilever Questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Cantilever Questions

Was wondering how the cantilever mounting system works on shotguns. Not sure if this is a solid system or if I should go the drill and tap route. I am new to this rifled shotgun stuff, after 35+ years hunting with centerfire rifles and muzzleloaders I am now hunting in a shotgun only area in NY state. I am looking to purchase a rifled 20 gauge shotgun and am looking for help and advice
Thanks in advance
Dave

ONLY THE DUMBEST SHEEP ELECT THEIR BUTCHERS

3D in PA
7R in NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 01:45 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Cantilever Questions

Cantilevers set the scope high. They are integral to the slug barrel. Mounting to the receiver puts the scope down where it belongs. You can have an older gun drilled and tapped...but excellent 20 gauge slug guns are everywhere on the used market for $300-$400. There are also several different receiver mounts out there..long out of fashion ..but still functional. If you plan on hunting there for years...I would grab a used slug gun and be done with it.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 02:03 AM
Frequent Contributor

Cantilever scope mounts are mounted to the barrel iteself. Most if not all shotguns have an easily removable barrel. If you remove and replace a barrel, there is no guarantee that a receiver mounted scope will line up exactly with your barrel and will need resighting in each time you remove the barrel. The Cantilever mount is welded/soldered to the barel itself so when you remove the barrel, in theory the scope should still be true to the barrel.

The more people that I meet, the more I love my dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Orator
Cantilever scope mounts are mounted to the barrel iteself. Most if not all shotguns have an easily removable barrel. If you remove and replace a barrel, there is no guarantee that a receiver mounted scope will line up exactly with your barrel and will need resighting in each time you remove the barrel. The Cantilever mount is welded/soldered to the barel itself so when you remove the barrel, in theory the scope should still be true to the barrel.
Yep.

My Mossberg 500 shoots much better with the cantilever barrel compared to the receiver mounted scope and rifled barrel combo. Based on my experiences with slug guns, the cantilever system offers more consistent accuracy. These guns tend to be finicky, so your mileage may vary.

I'm not sure what guns you are referring to, but note that the new(er) Ithaca Deerslayers have a fixed barrel so this is not a concern with them.

I just bought myself a Savage 220 a few weeks ago after seeing how well they shoot. They look and handle just like a bolt rifle.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 11:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

I had my 11-87 drilled and tapped when I first bought it. I could not keep the base tight. There was only room metal in the receiver for 2-3 threads. I bought a cantilevered barrel 6-7 years later.
The gun shot better, the scope never came loose in the 4-5 years I used it. Then, thank God, rifles bace legal in this part of NY. I never want to touch a slug gun again!

Will
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 09:00 PM
Part of the Community

I must have lucked out, because I got into a cantilever Mossberg 835 when I was 16 with a $50 Bushnell shotgun scope, 1.5-4.5x adjustable. To this day, the Bushnell still shoots true, just shoot a few before deer season to make sure nothing moved. Then slap the smooth bore on for trap, small game, and turkey. I tried a friend's Remington 870 and the thing holding me back from getting my own is that I do not like the lack of an adjustable cheek rest. I feel like if I don't have my rest right, I'd jaw myself on the stock. I've been fortunate to take a deer every year for the past five or so, and my Mossberg hasn't missed a beat. It's heavy but it's an all-in-one shotgun that does whatever I want for hunting.

If you plan on using a shotgun only for deer, I'd probably go with something lighter, but if you can handle it I'd recommend the 835/500. Personally I have no problem shooting a running/pushed/fast moving deer if I can identify what it is and whats behind it, so I wouldn't ever buy a bolt action slug gun based on reload speed.

It really depends on what you want
1- purpose built
2- deer movement
3- other game
4- weight/comfort/precision

Good luck on your search
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 02:14 PM

I wouldnt use anything but a cantilever mount on a shotgun with a removable barrel.

Good luck, Tony
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Guys thanks for the help.......I am leaning towards an Encore 20 gauge slug gun. I walk/drive a large percentage of my hunting so I want a shorter and lighter gun. I normally shoot Encores so the single shot is not a handicap for me
Once again...thanks for the education guys.
Dave

ONLY THE DUMBEST SHEEP ELECT THEIR BUTCHERS

3D in PA
7R in NY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page