Left handed concealed carry - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Left handed concealed carry

Im not sure if this is the right place to post this but I couldn't find a concealed carry forum. I am turning 21 within the next year and I am starting to look at handguns for concealed carry. I looked at a couple glocks and liked the way they felt, but when I tried to engage the slide lock it was awkward to do. All so I don't like the idea of the shells ejecting out toward my face. At a range its not a big deal because I wear eye protection, but if I ever needed to use it for something else and I couldn't use perfect shooting form I don't want to have a shell casing hit my eye. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good handgun for a lefty or am I just going to have to get used to a right handed one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 02:25 AM

Re: Left handed concealed carry

I am a lefty, so I can feel your pain. I personally shoot a M&P 9c w/o the safety. It has ambidextrous slide release's. I believe all of that line are that way. I also have a j frame (revolver) that doesn't really require much aside from a trigger pull.

I'd say if you're worried about taking a shell to the face, stick with a revolver. A semi that ejects to the left doesn't exist to my knowledge. As far as controls go, there are a lot less options for us lefties if you want something that is ambidextrous. Only other thing to do is suck it up and learn to use right hand controls shooting left handed.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Ill look more into the m&ps. I read online that some small companies made 1911s a while back that were left handed but thats like hiding a cannon under a tshirt. The main thing I was struggling with was the slide release. Its not that I cant do it, its just not comfortable and just inconvenient. But thanks for the input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 08:53 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm also left handed and was looking at FN fnx and cz-85.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 01:14 PM
Sage

I am left handed and use a 2in. colt .38 spec for my carry weapon. I still qualify with it every year..
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 01:23 PM
The Man

Fellow southpaw...never had a casing from any semi interfere (strike, distract, etc) with my vision.

Now right handed muzzleloaders...them's a whole 'nother story. Especially if you shoot with both eyes open.

William will you teach me how to write, Cassius will you show me how to fight.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpaden
Ill look more into the m&ps. I read online that some small companies made 1911s a while back that were left handed but thats like hiding a cannon under a tshirt. The main thing I was struggling with was the slide release. Its not that I cant do it, its just not comfortable and just inconvenient. But thanks for the input
The slide release is the main thing. A lot of companies make ambi safety's, but fail to make ambi slide releases. Doesn't make much sense to me.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 08:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Being a lefty also I've been kicking around getting a new cc gun. Check out the Tarus PT series pt809, pt840 and the one I'm considering pt845. If I'm not mistaken all have ambi safe, fire, decock, and also slide release. I've only researched them on line and haven't checked one out in person yet so see for yourself. Also you might want to consider how you will carry your gun LH holsters for many models are hard if not impossible to find.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 08:54 PM

Sig Sauer P320. Slide release on both sides. Mag release is reversible. Striker fire, so no safety.

POSTED: Pleny of squirrels, turkey, even deer.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 12:57 PM

the Springfield XDS has ambidextrous clip release.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page