I bought your shotgun - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I bought your shotgun

Just a story about buying a used gun.
New years eve I stopped in a local jewelry store that has an ffl. As I had never been in before my intentions were to ask how late they were going to be open so that I could transfer a pistol to my brother. That was simple enough I asked and was told till 3.

I looked around real quick, a few handguns in the case, few long guns in the glass cases against the wall. My eye was caught by a shiny piece of wood with checkering that I instantly recognized as being on an 870 wingmaster. A quick look over the counter told me the barrel wasn't a 12 ga. I asked the man If I could see it. He turned and lifted it, opened it and handed it to me and said, its on consignment.

In my hands it reminded me of my dads wingmaster that I used every chance I could after school in the early 90's. Dads was a 12 ga had a 30 full choke plain bbl and he always mentioned that he had got it when he was in 10th grade in the late 60's. I checked the chamber and the tube, gave it a pump, the familiar click clack filled my ears, the action felt as smooth as sliding 2 sticks of butter together. I looked over the outside wood and bluing were shiny overall, the barrel was 28" fixed modified choke, with a vent rib. I had never owned or even shot a 20 ga in my life, but felt I needed this one, other than the vent rib it reminded me a lot of dads. It reminded me of the time in 9th grade I saved every extra dollar of chore and birthday money for an 870. (some reason or another I wound up with an 835 back then) I love that gun as its my first gun but Ive also wanted a wingmaster since then.

I asked about the price and when the man told me what it was there was no decision to be made. Told him I was going to get cash and would be back in 5 mins. A few mins after that I walked out with a new to me 870 wingmaster 20 ga.

When I got home I looked up the date code and found it was made in 1977 so its a year younger than me.

I gave it a more detailed inspection, Sure there's some marks and dings in the wood. There's some minor pits in the metal. Thing is I can tell you loved this gun, all the marks she wears she earned honestly. She earned her stripes from being carried in the field. Action worn smooth from years of loading and unloading yellow hulled shells. Maybe a scratch from brush on a grouse hunt, maybe ding from teaching one of your kids to break hand thrown clay birds. Ill never know how but they got there proudly, this gun has a soul that a new one cant hold.

So while I don't know who you are I hope that the circumstances behind you selling it are the best circumstances possible, Maybe you just haven't had it out of the safe in years and wanted some cash to buy something different. Hopefully it wasn't one of those situations where you needed to sell it not wanting to that happen in life. (one of those similar situations is how I wound up with the 835 not the wingmaster in 9th grade) Either way it has a good home.

I've given it a good cleaning, found the seeds from an old hunt when I took the trigger group out, The missing front bead has been replaced and while I hadn't rabbit hunted in at least 15 years It's already gotten me 2 bunnies the day I took it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 04:49 AM
atr
Banned

Re: I bought your shotgun

Its always a good feeling to give a new or used gun a ride home. I have done that too many times
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Re: I bought your shotgun

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page