Bolt action shotgun - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MDsurveyor527

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Bolt action shotgun

I have an old JC Higgins 12 ga. shotgun with a 28 inch full choke barrel,I am looking to shoot winchester rifled slugs out of this gun.Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 04:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bolt action shotgun

Generally that is a big no no. In fact I'n going to guess no one is going to tell you that you shoot a slug out of a full choke.

If an inline is just like a flintlock why don't you get a flintlock so you can hunt more seasons?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Could I cut an inch or so off the barrel,Where does the necking down of the choke occur on the barrel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 07:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You can shoot lead foster style slugs out of a full choke smooth bore without damaging the gun or yourself. They tend to be more inherently accurate fired out of more open chokes but that's not always the case. Most older bolt action shotguns had a bead front sight and either a raised notch rear sight or groove. Neither are great for shooting a slug accurately.
Most older bolts don't have thick enough metal to drill ant tap them for rifle sights.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

thanks for the info pappybear, jeff
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 05:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Jeff, The choke taper on most smooth bores occurs 3" before the muzzle.
If your planning to use the shotgun for deer hunting you would probably be better off buying one that was made for shooting slugs even if it was a smooth bore with rifle sights.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have come to that conclusion too,I really appreciate yours and goalscorer's responses. HPA has so many members willing to help others it is truly an awesome place,thanks again, jeff
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 06:18 PM

careful with that shotgun. depending on the model number there was a recall.

the problem was that the bolt would come loose and slam the shooter in the face when it was fired.

hate for that to happen, especially with a slug.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 06:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSCCJ
I have come to that conclusion too,I really appreciate yours and goalscorer's responses. HPA has so many members willing to help others it is truly an awesome place,thanks again, jeff
Yes, there are a lot of good sportsmen here that are willing to help out.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:01 AM
New Arrival

Slug gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappybear View Post
Yes, there are a lot of good sportsmen here that are willing to help out.
If you still bird hunt, small game, or shoot shotshells from the gun, I'd say not to shoot slugs from a full choke. What I read says not necessarily damage to the gun but accuracy suffers.

I was given a Mossberg 185 20 ga as a boy in the 60's. I hunted small game and shot at a deer with it. I soon graduated to an 870, and then a 94 Winchester, so the little Mossberg sat in the closet. Years of disuse, then it went through a house fire in the 70's, and it was looking grim. I cleaned the gun after the fire as best I could, Gunslicked the bolt and trigger, and it sat another 25 years. One day I decided to put it back in commission (I hunt a barrier island that does not allow centerfire rifles) as a dedicated slug gun.

I started reading about chokes, and all articles talked about a 3-inch +/- forcing cone. I measured 3-1/2" from the muzzle, strapped it in the bandsaw & cut it, then lightly dressed the crown with an automotive valve-grinding stone in a hand drill (slow!).

I then took a set of fiber-optic sights for an inline muzzleloader and JB-welded them to the muzzle and the breech. The last task was to make a cheekpiece so I could actually see both sights. It's ugly but it's mine.

A can of flat black, brown, and green camo'ed it perfectly and it was ready to hunt. With the choke gone and the green & yellow Remington rifled slugs, it is a 60-70 yard gun. (If your eyes are still good enough to use open sights!) I'm 61 so the deer has to be close. I mostly use a scoped H&R 20 but once in a while will break this one out.

The best part about hunting with it? We get LOTS of PA/NJ guys down here hunting the beach. Most of them are at least average or better in the way of income, and tote some heavy-duty ($$$) firepower. Wait till they see an old white-haired swamp rat carrying a yard-sale derelict by the barrel over his shoulder. They're polite but are still funny to hear the questions and comments.

Anyhow, a couple of afternoons, some JB weld, a pair of hi-viz muzzleloader sights, and presto! If you have a young teen or lady that can't carry a 8-1/2 or 9 lb slug gun, give them this. With the green&yellow Rems the recoil isn't terrible and they will learn woodsmanship. (Get the deer in close.)
John Schweigart likes this.

Forget about the danger...think of the fun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page