S&W model 29 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

S&W model 29

I just became the proud owner of a Nickel Finish model 29 in 44 mag. I love the look and feel of this gun. It has a 4 inch BBl and all the goodies S&W gives ya.

My question is with the short 4 inch barrel can I still hunt with this gun? I got this gun because it is pretty and I fell in love. I wanted show piece weapon and I found her. If it had a 6 inch bbl I would be happier as this was what I was trained to understand that a hunting gun needed to have longer bbl.

I picked up a real confy OWB holster and she rides very nice strong side. I have yet been able to get out to the range. I hope to soon.

So does anyone hunt with a 4 inch,44 mag and what kinda ammo requirement would be best?

will hunt for food....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 02:40 PM
The Man

Re: S&W model 29

As long as you're accurate with it, there's no reason you can't hunt with it. 4" vs 6" isn't a deal breaker, practice a lot, get proficient with it, and head to the woods!

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I ordered a set of reloading dies and plan of shooting the heck out this gun. I am so excited to finally own a classic model 29!

I have become rather good shot with my other wheel guns. Ya see I love Smith and Wesson wheel guns I carry 642 and then in years past a 686. I killed few doe with the 686. I wanted more power but family and other "responsible" things came up that took my play money.

Thats in the past and I am happy happy.

will hunt for food....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 05:08 PM
The Man

I prefer 240 gr. jacketed soft points in my 29 for hunting. Mine prefers jacketed bullets for accuracy. It does not shoot tight groups with hot lead loads but it does shoot better with light lead loads.

Good luck with it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 09:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have a S&W model 629 with a 2 3/4 inch bbl. I don't use it for hunting, but if I did, a deer within 40 yards would be in serious trouble. I use the Hornady 44 special factory ammo. Doc in Pa.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 09:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have a scoped 629 and I use a hornady 200gr. XTP. My barrel is 6" so I get more velocity that with the shorter barrel's. But it's never taken more than one shot to take down a doe. These are with my handloads. Great hunting with a 44 Mag revolver!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I looked up various ballistic tables and I am not losing to much in velocity. I plan on keeping my shots inside of my effective range. of 50 yards.

I plan on lots of range time to ensure I will be able to make those shots.

will hunt for food....
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 03:00 PM

kozman4907,

Congratulations on your purchase. Since it is nickel, I can hazard a guess that it might be a pinned and recessed model of yore?

You can, and you should indeed, hunt with that gun! I've harvested deer with my 3 inch 696 DAO 44 special. Unfortunately, this last year season spent with my 29-3 was uneventful, so I'll try again next year. Fortunately, my 45-70 did bring home the bacon!

I've gone to using simple hard cast LSWCs loaded over various charges of either 2400 or H110, depending on if I'm loading for bear or just deer.

This year's loads for the 29-3 were:

Deer: 18.4 grains of 2400 over a 240 grain hardcast LSWC.

Bear: 24 grains of H110 over a 250 grain Kieth style LSWC from Leadhead bullets.

That deer load is not a barn burner as 44 mag loads go, but you don't need a barn burner to kill whitetails.

Big LSWC's rule

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page