.410 rifled slugs for deer? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

.410 rifled slugs for deer?

Anyone ever use/have luck with/comments on .410 rifled slugs for deer in the SRA's?

I only have a .243 for the kids to use.
I do have a Mossberg 500 12 ga. rifled barrel but that is too much gun for my kids. A M 500 in 20 ga. would be ideal but I don't want to buy another gun right now.

I do have a break action 22 mag/.410 over/under with iron sights they could use. Any thoughts if the shots are kept to under 40/50 yds?

Suburban redneck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 07:43 PM
dce
Sage

Re: .410 rifled slugs for deer?

Honestly,I'd get them a cheap inline.You can load it up or down as they learn to handle recoil.My kids shoot 75gr of bh209 and a 240 gr xtp and it has very little recoil.Deer have been killed with .410 slugs but they're marginal at best.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 07:52 PM

On of the biggest deer I had laid my eyes on in person was shot with a .410.
Father was hunting with his son. Both were licensed and for whatever reason they only had the .410 with them hunting out of a double ladder stand.
I was hunting this same farm that morning and heard the shot. Didn't think much of it until I was leaving to head into work and saw them come out into the field pulling this buck. decided to walk all the way over and that rack got bigger and bigger the closer I got.
Father told me that once he saw how big it was he took the shot. Put it right in the boiler maker and the deer did not go very far.

I personally do not like this caliber for deer hunting due to the fact that a marginal hit will likely not cause enough trauma or shock to put the deer down.

I think that father and son were very lucky that day and everything just worked out.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do. maybe you can borrow a 20 gauge which IMO be better for deer hunting.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 02:21 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If ya keep it inside 30-40 yards no problem. I would not recommend it as best choice. I would look into the black powder. I found a used serviceable rifle for 80 bucks. I load it with 75 gains black powder, cva powerbelt, 209 primer.

We have killed few deer with this combo. My daughter love shooting it! big boom daddy!
Koz

will hunt for food....
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:05 AM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgrad25 View Post
Anyone ever use/have luck with/comments on .410 rifled slugs for deer in the SRA's?

I only have a .243 for the kids to use.
I do have a Mossberg 500 12 ga. rifled barrel but that is too much gun for my kids. A M 500 in 20 ga. would be ideal but I don't want to buy another gun right now.

I do have a break action 22 mag/.410 over/under with iron sights they could use. Any thoughts if the shots are kept to under 40/50 yds?
Check with your Game Commission for legality. There are a few scattered areas in MD where a 410 is legal for big game, but most areas it has to be 20 ga & larger.

Forget about the danger...think of the fun!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 06:08 PM
The Man

Nothing lives with a hole in the heart or lungs !

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:31 PM

Hornady makes managed recoil slugs for the 12 gauge. That is what my kids use. It still has a decent kick though, but not near as bad as regular slugs. If you catch one on sale you can buy a CVA Wolf muzzleloader with scope for around $250 or so.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:49 PM

I'd feel fairly confident with it if it's a 3" shell(provided your gun is rated for that) and I was shooting the best ammo I could afford. Also take it to the range and ensure the accuracy is good.

As some other's have mentioned it might not be a bad idea to consider a cheap black powder gun. I would possibly consider the 12ga reduced recoil ammo too. If you think they're ok with a full power 20ga slug, I bet they could maybe handle the reduced recoil 12.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 02:54 PM
Sage

Delaware is a shotgun state but a 410 is illegal to use for deer hunting..
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:39 AM

aren't semi auto shotguns legal in the SRA's ? why not a semi auto 20 ga. with slugs or even a 12 with the reduced recoil loads. wont feel much with a winter coat on or even the Limbsaver strap on recoil pad.

thats what i used when i shot my 870 with slugs, you could shoot a ton of slugs wearing that thing all day long and its comfortable.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page