What's involved in putting a scope on a handgun? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

What's involved in putting a scope on a handgun?

Thinking about putting a scope on a 6" S&W model 57 .41 magnum for hunting. I've never had a scoped handgun before so I wondered what the process was to put a scope on it.

You just shot an unarmed man. Well he should have armed himself!!! Clint Eastwood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 02:14 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: What's involved in putting a scope on a handgun?

I'm not very farmiliar with your particular gun, but some companies make "no drill" mounts for Alot of revolvers. Most use existing screws or pins that are already located somewhere on the firearm.

A GOOD gunsmith can do just about anything you want if you need/want something more permanent. I would check with one and see what there opinion on the best mount for your particular set up. But to answer your question, it is usually not hard not very expensive to have a scope installed on a handgun.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 02:25 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If your handgun is not already tapped & drilled for a scope mount, then like the other poster said, a gunsmith can do it. This permanently alters your handgun (holes for scope mounts), but unless there is something special about the handgun, I would go this route.

I've never used one of the "no drill" mounts, so I cannot attest to how good or bad they are.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 02:28 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

This might help

https://youtu.be/ATwZg8jA648

Steve
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 02:40 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

First your going too have to get a mount that fits your make of pistol. a Weaver mount may fit, remove your rear sight and match up the screw holes for the mount your using. In some cases you may have to have the pistol drilled for a mount in which case you'll need a gunsmith. I'd think carefully about the scope, it can be pretty hard getting a deer in a scope. I have a T/C with a scope on it and man is it hard getting a deer lined up for a shot. You may do better with a Red Dot where you can keep both eyes open. A scope that has a lighted cross hair on the lowest power may also work. The biggest problem I have is lining up for the shot. My pistol pretty much stays in my gun safe. It has a 2x7 mounted on it with a lighted cross hair on it. It's a 7 by 30 Walters got it when my dad passed away back in 95. Good luck on what you decide. ��

God, Family, Country in that order.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 10:59 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by longfellow
First your going too have to get a mount that fits your make of pistol. a Weaver mount may fit, remove your rear sight and match up the screw holes for the mount your using. In some cases you may have to have the pistol drilled for a mount in which case you'll need a gunsmith. I'd think carefully about the scope, it can be pretty hard getting a deer in a scope. I have a T/C with a scope on it and man is it hard getting a deer lined up for a shot. You may do better with a Red Dot where you can keep both eyes open. A scope that has a lighted cross hair on the lowest power may also work. The biggest problem I have is lining up for the shot. My pistol pretty much stays in my gun safe. It has a 2x7 mounted on it with a lighted cross hair on it. It's a 7 by 30 Walters got it when my dad passed away back in 95. Good luck on what you decide. ��
You should keep both eyes open when looking through any scope.

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 12:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My scoped hunting handguns, Ruger Super RedHawk in .44 Magnum and T/C Contender in 7-30 Waters both wear Bushnell 2-7x scopes. Never had an issue getting deer in the sights. Keep both eyes open until the scope is on the deer.

Steve
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 12:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

Cisco, Just like Steve in Pa said...If your model 57 is not factory drilled for a scope base you will need the services of a gunsmith. If it is factory drilled for a scope base, you can do the work yourself. On both of my model 629's which were factory drilled I mounted a Leupold base with Leupold rings. Make sure you use a drop of Loctite on the base screws. As far a scopes..I have Leupold 2 1/2X8 handgun scopes on both. I hope this helps. Doc in Pa.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page