Anyone shooting 7-30 waters?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Anyone shooting 7-30 waters??

Back in the spring I had a chance to buy a contender pistol chambered for 7-30 waters, it is the super 14" barreled model. The gun is 20 years old and from what I can tell very lightly to never been fired.

Years ago I had one of these in the carbine model (21" barrel") and was very impressed with the accuracy and performance on deer. I killed 2 does approx 225 yds away and they fell in their tracks! I'm just wondering how these perform in the pistol version? It has open sights right now, I'm debating on scopeing it as I never really cared for the balance of a scoped handgun.

I picked up some factory ammo, 120gr Sierra sp in the federal premium ammo, as I believe that these are the only factory ammo availible at this time (please correct me if I'm wrong). Anyone with any expierience with this calibur, please chime in with any helpful info, max range out of a short barrel, ballistics on these factory rounds out of this particular gun would be greatly appreciated, thanks fellas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 03:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Anyone shooting 7-30 waters??

I picked up a 14" barrel in 7-30 Waters last year. Love this cartridge. Actually took a deer with it last year too.

I handload, so I found two loads that work, both use Varget powder. The Nosler 120gr BT and the Hornady 139gr SST shoot sub moa at 100 yards.

Steve
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks Steve, it good to hear that it's a solid set up. What scope are you useing? I had looked at the Bushnell 2-6 by 32, tried one on a 44 mag super Blackhawk Hunter one time, it was a good scope I just didn't like the way it made the gun feel in the hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 04:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes, it's a Bushnell 2-6x Trophy scope. I have a few of these scopes and like them a lot.

I've had one on my Super Redhawk for 20+ years.

The SRH keeps the scope more towards the rear and therefore above your hands, which makes it feel a lot better.

I have a regular Super Blackhawk (non-hunter version) and I prefer to keep this set up for iron sights.

Steve
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yes Steve you are 100% correct, the Blackhawk Hunter had the scope more out towards the center of the barrel, just balanced like crap for me. I now use it open sighted and actually do very well with it out to 75 yds or so, that's about the limit that my eyes focus good on the sights and target.

I also have a 1974 model Blackhawk that was my grandfathers, 4 5/8 inch barrel that o used a weaver no drill base on and attached a small red dot to that will keep 6 shots inside a golf ball at 50 yds, would prbly even do better with a set of crosshairs as the dot inside the red dot covers about the same area as a golf ball at 50 yds.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 10:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have been shooting 7-30 waters for over 20 years in a super 14".Its a great round and if you hand load you can really get some great groups and also you can fire form the brass from 30-30.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 02:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

7-30 Waters brass is scarce as hen's teeth. I was lucky to score 200 pcs of brand new Federal brass last year, so I don't have to worry brass, at least for a little while.

I'll probably start grabbing up some new .30/30 brass soon, just so I'll have some to work with when my stock starts to dwindle.

Steve
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 11:53 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have my super 14 7-30 waters out with me today. The pa rifle opener. I picked this up this past summer and am shooting 140 nosler bt. 4x M8 leupold. Excited to see if I can get one with it today. Now only if the slobs will go away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page