Concealed Carry Handgun - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Concealed Carry Handgun

I've been looking at the 1911 models for some time now and like the general look of this style handgun.
I am looking to use it as my main conceal carry handgun and wanted to get some feed back about the positives and negatives to this model and which manufacture has the best reviews. I'm thinking of getting the 45 or 9MM caliber.
I am also interested in any opinions for other conceal carry hand gun styles that may be better and why.

Thank you in advance for your input.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 08:53 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Concealed Carry Handgun

A lot depends on your experience with a handgun. You will most likely receive several suggestions. For what a decent Handgun cost you donít want to go out and drop $600.00 on an Internet suggestion. If you can, go to a range that rents Handguns and try several. Today every one wants large caliber small frame strike fire guns. Problem is some canít handle the recoil on these guns. Only you can choose whatís right for you.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 09:15 PM

I was told to go to Gun Shops and see which style of 1911 fit my hand best . ( Trigger finger rests comfortably on the trigger ) . I was very surprised by how many top brands felt completely different in my hand . My pick was the Springfield Range Officer . Good luck shopping ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 07:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

1911 would be hard to conceal IMHO, but up to you of course.

ďI prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,Ē
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 11:07 AM
Part of the Community

Location: Melbourne Beach, FL & The Mon Valley area of Pittsburgh

Like they all said & find a range or club where u can try several different options. For pretty and occasional carry I have a full size Kimber 1911. Expensive, pretty as [censored], high quality, good shooter. BUT, hard to conceal, takes a bit of maintenance, heavy. 90% of the time my CC is a S&W 642 J frame revolver. Only a 38 spl, but 5 shots, 15 oz, low maint, 100% reliable, fits in pocket or IWB holster & conceals well. Downside - I think they are unattractive. Short barrel/fixed sights not a target gun, 5 shot. Just my take. Go see, shoot, & see how different guns feel concealed with a full magazine. Also on a 1911 make sure you take one down & understand maint. cleaning and deep cleaning. ( PS on the DAO revolvers the triggers are generally pretty heavy but can be improved greatly by a qualified gunsmith for about $75 to debur & hone& if necessary SLIGHTLY lighter springs.) Good luck. pick carefully and you won't be one of the "recently purchased, for sale" ads
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 12:12 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Ruger 380 LCP in my front pocket, I use a inside pocket holster from cabelas.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 04:55 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihaven
Ruger 380 LCP in my front pocket, I use a inside pocket holster from cabelas.
I second this. I carry in exactly the same way. I had a Springfield ultra compact for a long time but found I was leaving it at home a large majority of the time because it was difficult to conceal. The LCP however fits right in your pocket and you will ,most likely, have to make a real effort to remember it's there. A .380 in your pocket is better that a .45 left at home any day. I carry critical defense rounds in the summer time and switch to hot ball loads about this time of year for maximum penetration.

"If it's not Scottish......It's CRRRRRAP"
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

I looked at quite a few guns and I have settled on a couple choices with my top choice right now being a S&W MP Shield in 9MM.
I am planning to get out to shoot one after the holiday just to reinforce what I already know about this gun. Haven't read or heard any negative things so far about this gun.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 10:05 PM

I don't carry a concealed but if I did I would want a small hammerless revolver before any semi-auto.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIGHT POINT
I looked at quite a few guns and I have settled on a couple choices with my top choice right now being a S&W MP Shield in 9MM.
I am planning to get out to shoot one after the holiday just to reinforce what I already know about this gun. Haven't read or heard any negative things so far about this gun.
You're doing exactly what you should be, trying out every model you can get your hands on. For me I didn't like the way the Shield felt in my hand. I like the Springfield XDS or Glock 43. If the Kahr CW9 wasn't hammer fired it would be a three way tie.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page