pistol hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

pistol hunting

Who is going to hunt with a pistol this fall for deer or bear ? Wat u shooting ? Bullets ? I'm getting ready by going to the range altho I haven't decided yet on the bullets .. shooting a 357 6 shot revolver sa da and just got a box of 158 grain Remington sjhp bullets that I want to try next week ... also any stories u have I would love to hear them .. I'm new to this but I can't wait until I get out with it .. rite now I feel comfortable at no farther then 30 yards. . Looking forward to hearing wat u have and your stories
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 02:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: pistol hunting

I hunted last year with my Ruger 357 blackhawk. I'm shooting the same ammo as you. I did not get a deer. It did feel odd to not have a rifle slung on my back. I cut a walking stick to have in my hand and to use as a shooting rest. And to whittle on while I sat and watched for deer.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 08:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I had my T/C Contender in 7-30 Waters, my Ruger Super Blackhawk and Super Redhawk both in .44 Magnum out at the range today.

In the 7-30 Waters, I use Hornady 139gr SST bullets. The Super Blackhawk likes the Hornady 200gr XTP bullets, while the Super Redhawk likes the 240 or 300gr XTP's.

The T/C Contender and the Super Redhawk are both scoped and are sighted in for 100 yards.

The Super Blackhawk has only iron sights and I sight that in for 50 yards.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 01:09 AM

S & W model 629-4 mountain gun 4 inch or a model 29-3 6 inch, yet to make up my mind. 240 or 250 grain lead SWC over about of 20 grains of 2400. Should do the trick.

Big LSWC's rule
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 10:35 PM

I'm thinking about carrying the GP100MC that I bought this summer, but I haven't worked up a hunting load for it yet. I have put over 700 rounds of match ammo through it though.

WMU 3A
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 11:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've hunted with a handgun since the mid 70s. Taken a number of species with different calibers including deer and bear. Really like an iron sighted 44 single action like the Ruger SBH but sold it and now use a Ruger 454 SRH. Like the caliber but don't like the gun as much as the SBH, but it works, HATE using a scope but the 60 year old eyes demand it.

Below is a video from Alaska with the 454, plane on floats takes me out and drops me off, comes back a week later to pick me up. Only had the 454 on the trip, came around a corner where the ocean meets a creek and the bear and I saw each other at the same moment. We were on different sides of the creek about 50 yards apart. We stared at each other for a bit, me trying to decide if it was big enough to shoot, him trying to figure me out. Not a place a lot of humans will ever be. I decided it wasn't big enough, he decided he had enough and ran into the bush. When he left I second guessed my decision.

Sat down next to a low rock about 16" and took out the fawn bleat call. I've called in and shot other bear but didn't expect this one to come back with just seeing me. In less than 2 minutes he came absolutely charging back stopping on his side of the creek but now closer, had to stop calling because I didn't want him in my lap. He stood at the creek edge swinging his head back and forth, looking up and down the creek trying to find the fawn. I didn't have the gun in my hand and had to wait, couldn't move, thought maybe if I did he might think I'm the fawn because now I was sitting hidden a little behind the rock and what was showing was about the size of a small deer, he turned and started to walk up the creek away from me. I fired as he walked putting the bullet in the back of the rib cage exiting on the far shoulder. Went about 15' and piled up before making it into the bush.

Alaska black bear with Ruger 454

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 12:47 AM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundragriz
I've hunted with a handgun since the mid 70s. Taken a number of species with different calibers including deer and bear. Really like an iron sighted 44 single action like the Ruger SBH but sold it and now use a Ruger 454 SRH. Like the caliber but don't like the gun as much as the SBH, but it works, HATE using a scope but the 60 year old eyes demand it.

Below is a video from Alaska with the 454, plane on floats takes me out and drops me off, comes back a week later to pick me up. Only had the 454 on the trip, came around a corner where the ocean meets a creek and the bear and I saw each other at the same moment. We were on different sides of the creek about 50 yards apart. We stared at each other for a bit, me trying to decide if it was big enough to shoot, him trying to figure me out. Not a place a lot of humans will ever be. I decided it wasn't big enough, he decided he had enough and ran into the bush. When he left I second guessed my decision.

Sat down next to a low rock about 16" and took out the fawn bleat call. I've called in and shot other bear but didn't expect this one to come back with just seeing me. In less than 2 minutes he came absolutely charging back stopping on his side of the creek but now closer, had to stop calling because I didn't want him in my lap. He stood at the creek edge swinging his head back and forth, looking up and down the creek trying to find the fawn. I didn't have the gun in my hand and had to wait, couldn't move, thought maybe if I did he might think I'm the fawn because now I was sitting hidden a little behind the rock and what was showing was about the size of a small deer, he turned and started to walk up the creek away from me. I fired as he walked putting the bullet in the back of the rib cage exiting on the far shoulder. Went about 15' and piled up before making it into the bush.

Alaska black bear with Ruger 454
Ruger now makes a Super Blackhawk in 454 and 480. Looks like its a distributor exclusive, but its on their website and I'm sure one can be had.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 02:13 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If I'm hunting in an area where I can have shots beyond 50 yards, say out to 100 or so, I prefer a scope. I've taken several deer with a scoped handgun, so it's not an issue with me.

For areas with shots 50 yards and under, I will grab the iron sighted Super Blackhawk.

Steve
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 11:56 PM

If I am hunting very tight or thick stuff I love a revolver. Either a Dan Wesson .44 Mag 10 inch barrel or S&W 19-4 .357 6 inch barrel. 240 gr flat tips or 158 gr flat tips. Both open sights.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 02:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

I will be using a S&W model 629 DX with a 6 1/2 bbl with a Leupold 2 1/2 X 8 handgun scope. Ammo is the 44 mag. Hornady Leverevolution, 225 grain. Doc in Pa.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page