Sighting In Pistol/How To - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Sighting In Pistol/How To

I have a Mark III .22 pistol and it shot great out of the box. I have now added a red dot scope and I'm not sure how to sight it in. Help will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 04:04 PM
The Man

Re: Sighting In Pistol/How To

Start close and get it on paper. I usually start at 10 to 15 yards and then move out to 25 yards. I finish up at the distance I'll be hunting or shooting.

A red dot scope usually has 1/2 minute or full minute clicks. At 25 yards you will have to multiply your clicks by 4. At 50 yards by 2.

For example if you have one minute clicks and you need to move the group up 1 inch at 25 yards you will need to move up 4 clicks at 25 yards. It would be 2 clicks at 50 yards and one click at 100 yards.

BTW I always use a rest to sight in.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 11:46 PM

Re: Sighting In Pistol/How To

This is how I sight in all my dot sights. It helps to have a Lohman-Sight-Vise, as I do. I've even added lead to mine to make it stable.

First, if you can, with the gun in the vice, manually bore sight it. You say you have a Mark III so I think you can remove the bolt and look down the bore - correct? Manually bore sight it by looking down the barrel and then moving the dot to be on the same spot you see when looking down the bore to the target.

Then start with the target at a close range but if you have bore sighted it, 50 yards might work. Use a big paper target with a bulls-eye in the middle. Rest the gun. If you a vise, use it. Aim at the bulls-eye and shoot 3-5 rounds. Go back to the target and draw a circle around the group. Color the circle in. Now, go back to the gun and with the gun in the vice, look through the scope, start with the dot on the bulls-eye and using the adjustments move the dot to the group circle. MAKE SURE THE GUN DOES NOT MOVE.

Now, shoot at the bulls-eye again, you will hit it!

Every dot sight sight is different with different adjustments and tensions. I've had some seem to spring back a bit. On most, the adjustments are not as precise as a regular scope, so patience is a virtue.

Big LSWC's rule

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page