H&R Ultra Slug Gun Deluxe - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

H&R Ultra Slug Gun Deluxe

I was tossing around the idea of picking one of these up for next year. I have read reviews and it sounds like this gun is a real nail driver. I would be looking at getting the 20ga. Anyone have one, if so your feedback would be great. Thanks

Its an archery thing, my wife doesn't understand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 01:21 AM
Regular Visitor

Re: H&R Ultra Slug Gun Deluxe

My uncle owns a few NE Arms singles (very similar)and I he loves them. I find them very light and comfortable to carry ..so much in fact I slung one (unloaded) set up for turkey while also carrying my semi on some grouse drives. Although ..all of his are smooth bore ...he uses a pump for slugs.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

The ultra slugs do not fit Moccasin's description. The 12 weighs more than a trap shotgun - super heavy. I've not held a 20, but hopefully, it's lighter.

I have the NEF tracker in 20 and use it for brush busting in ohio -- rifled barrel, decent sights. However, the barrel is too thin to drill and tap for scope mounts. They can be brazed on, but to be safe, they can't be drilled.

I looked at the ultraslug 12 and decided I did not want to carry it on the move
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 01:06 PM

Actually, there is a model that is VERY light. Held it a Gander a couple months ago...

That being said, a slug gun being that light would probably nock the snot out of you.

I'll be getting a matching pair of 20 gauges for my kids in the next few years.

‎"When the mind fails to comprehend, the body must be punished" -3rd Battalion,Parris Island
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 06:49 PM
New Arrival

If you can find one buy it. I was lucky enough to find one a few weeks ago and I am very happy with the performance. I have the 20 gauge heavy barrel and the gun is a tack driver. I love shooting it but the big draw back is the slugs are expensive.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I finally found one and ordered it! Its being delivered to my local gunsmith and I am going to have a top quality scope mounted and then let the fun begin. I should have it by next weekend; just in enough time to get it dialed in for the late season down here in the SE.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Regular Visitor

SE Bowhunter - did you get it? How do you like it? I am thinking of getting one myself.

Ryan

3B, 5C
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a 20 ga ultra slugger with nikon glass. I got used for 200.00 from my local gun shop. I have it sighted in dead on at 100 yards. I have talken deer clean at 130 yrds. I confirmed range with laser range finder. The doe dropped in her tracks!

My gun likes Remington 20 ga 2 3/4 areo tip shells. Lightfields XPT 2 3/4 were a close second. I get 1.2 to 2 inch groups off bench rest. The 20 ga is really not too heavy. But The 12 ga is like nutz heavy.

Koz

will hunt for food....
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcd777
SE Bowhunter - did you get it? How do you like it? I am thinking of getting one myself.
I finally did get one. I got the 20 ga model with the thumbhole stock and I had put a Nikon Prostaff 2x7 scope on it. I had some issues at first with it. I was using Hornady sst with it and they weren't patterning well. It turns out I had a faulty scope and the scope rail on the gun became very loose. Took the gun back, got a new scope, locktighted the scope rail, and tried lightfield sabots. After a little tuning on the scope, knocked the center out of the bullseye with a couple shots. I can't really bad mouth the Hornady's because of scope issues, but the Lightfields seem to have not as much barrel whip, so i'm sticking with them. I am going out hunting Friday and Saturday and I am itching to see how it performs, which I think will be just as good in the field as it is on the bench. This gun is a true tack driver.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 09:01 PM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Bowhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcd777
I finally did get one. I got the 20 ga model with the thumbhole stock and I had put a Nikon Prostaff 2x7 scope on it. I had some issues at first with it. I was using Hornady sst with it and they weren't patterning well. It turns out I had a faulty scope and the scope rail on the gun became very loose. Took the gun back, got a new scope, locktighted the scope rail, and tried lightfield sabots. After a little tuning on the scope, knocked the center out of the bullseye with a couple shots. I can't really bad mouth the Hornady's because of scope issues, but the Lightfields seem to have not as much barrel whip, so i'm sticking with them. I am going out hunting Friday and Saturday and I am itching to see how it performs, which I think will be just as good in the field as it is on the bench. This gun is a true tack driver.
Hey we may have the same set up scope and thumbhole. Did you get the short or long forearm? Most thumbhole versions come with the short forearm but I was lucky to get one with the long. I tried a few few brands of the higher $$ sabot slugs but my best grouping came from Brenneke KO's a foster style slug. The one down fall of using these I have to clean out the barrel every 10 shots.
I did take my gun out on the last day of gun season and was able to take a doe at 40yrds. I was on mark but I noticed my slug did not pass through all the way and was stopped by the hide on the other side. Does this happen alot with slugs? My gun shots great but know I am thinking of getting the 12 gauge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page