rock island armory - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

rock island armory

hi guys
what do you think of 1911s made by rock island armory? any input? from what I heard they aren't too bad for the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 11:20 PM

Re: rock island armory

i have one, its a 9mm and not a 45acp. i like it...but i upgraded the grips as soon as i bought it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

that's cool. yeah I heard the only issues with them is may want to change grips, also the front site may want to add some white paint to it so you can see the sight easier.but that was the only complaints I heard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 11:44 PM

My brother has one in 9mm. Seems to be well built but as said above need to upgrade the grips.

life member of nahc
buckmasters member
pa fly fish member
nra member
ducks unlimited member
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 11:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They have quite the loyal following.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 01:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have had a RIA, an ATI, a Citadel, and now a Colt Defender.

The differences in most 1911s are steel and/or alloy used and tolerance of fit. And the recoil assemblies are a bit different with each. I tried the 3" ATI assembly in the 3" Colt, and vice versa, and it worked both ways. Wasn't quite right feel, but functional.

I found the main issue with any of them was not the brand of pistol, but whether the feed ramp was smooth/polished or not. This was especially so with JHP ammo. Not as bad with FMJ ammo, but still a minor issue.

Additionally, you need to use a bit of lubricant. Not dripping wet, but not as sparing as most polymer frame guns. Remember the 1911 is a metal on metal gun that was built for crappy conditions and easy maintenance. Clean and lube it, it will serve you well!

To me, I have the Colt just because I wanted a Colt, and it was stainless and a great price. I would take a Rock Island, or any other as well, with the right price, and the right itch at that time!

I would recommend one with a beavertail grip safety. The GI type safety can still cause slide or hammer bite. The beavertail curtails that!

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

thanks for the feedback guys. I do understand the metal on metal and can see the extra lubing.i just need to pick and choose which one I wanna get.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 04:02 PM
Part of the Community

Decent weapons but I would not recommend the Compact versions. Mine was a problem child from the jump and I contacted the company who sent me a new safety and that didn't cure it and sent it to my Smithy and he couldn't get it to run correctly either. In a 1911 platform, stick with the full size or Officer models.

mss
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 01:55 PM

I had a 45 compact tactical 3.5. It was great, I did have an issue with it returning to battery when it first arrived, but you won't find better customer service than RIA. They have a lifetime warranty, so I shipped it back and it was returned fully tuned and with an upgraded spring. Shot like a dream, but I traded it for a 44 mag SBH. They aren't beautiful, but they are functional and their company backs the product. Was I thrilled to have to send a new gun back to the manufacturer? NO, but I was more than happy when I received an upgraded and tuned weapon.

"The good that men do live on long after they're gone"
USAF AD 2006-Til they make me leave.
2B and 2D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page