Problem with Remington 11-87 & 3" Shells - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Problem with Remington 11-87 & 3" Shells

I am experiencing an issue with my shotgun shells. Shooting a Remington 11-87 12 gauge semi-auto thatís around 20 years old. Anyway, Iíve noticed that the edges of the brass on the end of the shell are getting hit pretty good by something. The metal part that grabs the shell to cycle it back? Iím not having any type of cycling issue, they cycle and the gun fires and ejects fine. It is however unnerving, to notice such an indention on the end of the brass. This is occurring on both fired and unfired shells that are left live in the gun after others are shot. The indentation is almost the size as what the hammer makes on the shell. I have pics of the shell to illustrate the issue but I can't figure out how to post them. This is on hevi shot magnum blend in 3 inch. Any ideas whatís happening and whether this warrants gun smith work? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 03:38 PM

Re: Problem with Remington 11-87 & 3" Shells

Does it happen with shorter shells?

Big LSWC's rule
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Haven't tried 2 3/4". Only really shoot 3" shells from this gun.i have pics if anyone is interested, can't figure out how to post here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 04:14 PM
Part of the Community

The shells are expanding in the chamber when fired and the extractor has to force-ably remove them from the chamber.
An even bigger problem if you own a Browning with a Forged Aluminum receiver is that the shell head stamp now becomes a broach and it starts removing material from around the ejection port each time the firearm is cycled.
Its either showing that your charge is too high in your shells or that the head stamp is too thin or that the chamber is too small.
Have it measured by a real gunsmith and not the guy down the street that knows a little about guns and sells guns and shells!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 04:21 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail
The shells are expanding in the chamber when fired and the extractor has to force-ably remove them from the chamber.
An even bigger problem if you own a Browning with a Forged Aluminum receiver is that the shell head stamp now becomes a broach and it starts removing material from around the ejection port each time the firearm is cycled.
Its either showing that your charge is too high in your shells or that the head stamp is too thin or that the chamber is too small.
Have it measured by a real gunsmith and not the guy down the street that knows a little about guns and sells guns and shells!
It's kind of hard for an unfired shell to expand in the chamber, no? I'm not entirely sure what the issue is without seeing the gun/shells, but I don't think expansion is the issue here.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Head stamping or rather the very edge of the head of the brass stamping is a good way of describing the issue. This started last year when I bought a box of the Hevi-shot, magnum blend shells. I have shot 3 out of 5 in the box. I have only experienced this with these shells, no others with this gun. It would be logical to assume that because they are more powerful/more charge/heavier that this is causing the issue. Is this a safety concern?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Part of the Community

You are asking us to diagnose a problem via the internet.
Sorry, but my crystal ball is broken.
Take it to a gunsmith.
I offered a suggestion - without having all the facts.
It would be like calling a doctor on the telephone, saying I'm sick, what is wrong with me!
Until the doctor can see you in person, run some tests, make a through examination, there is no way for sure to diagnose the problem.
All the doctor can do is guess.
The height of the brass has nothing to do with the charge inside of the case.
The headstamps only job is to give the extractor something to grip when it pulls the shell from the chamber.
The shell is designed to be fired one time.
The mechanical workings inside of the shotgun are designed to feed the shell from the magazine, push it into the chamber, pull it from the chamber, eject it out the ejection port. That can be a violent action, I can pump out 3 shells in 4 seconds at a turkey and not think twice about everything that took place from the time I chambered the first round in the action until the last shell came out of the port.
How often do you clean this firearm?
Have you ever disassembled it?
Maybe you put it back together wrong, or maybe the action is fouled - dirty. Again, I can't see any further than my computer screen.
Could be something wrong with the gun, or it could be something wrong because you didn't know what you were doing!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Update: It's happenening to the third shell when it cycles through the magazine after the first shell is fired. It doesn't happen to the shell that gets cylced into the chamber after the shot. All indications are that it's only happening to the hevi shot shells, not any other brand.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 01:56 PM
Regular Visitor

Is the brass thicker on these rounds then the ones you have been using? If there is no big advantage to them just go back to what you were using.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 01:57 PM
Regular Visitor

A second thought. Close the bolt on a round and then check to see if that is causing the impression rather then ejection.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page