slugs - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

slugs

what kind of slugs dose everyone use i have a remington 870 20g with a rifled barrel what type of slug will shot best out of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 12:23 AM
The Man

Re: slugs

get a few diffrent brands of sabot slugs then shoot till ya find one that works best in your gun.
remigton,hornady sst,and winchester will be a good place to start.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 12:38 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

hornady SST in both of my 20ga, good and accurate!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 12:43 AM

lightfields are the best
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 01:42 AM
The Man

your gonna have to figure out what type to use. these guns are very finicky when it comes to loads. i shoot 3" copper solids in my 870 and it loves them. i shoot 2 3/4 brenneke's in my ithaca deerslayer cuz it hates everything else and really hates 3". its gonna take some money and a sore shoulder to figure it out.

"god fearin, hard workin. combine driver"
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Sage

2-3/4" Lightfields work very well in my rifled barrel Mossberg 500 and they are usually about the cheapest saboted slugs available.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 12:03 PM

Nick, see the slug post in the big game forum, lost of good info posted.

Obama/Biden-Change You Can Believe In If You Feel It's The Government's Job To Provide For You.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 12:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

and use the search feature. this subject has been beat to death always with the same result.

"get a box of each, and see which ones your gun likes" followed by a bunch of "Try this" and "try that"...

my "try this" is the Hastings Laser Accurate slug - very similar to the lightfield - but can be bought for 8 bucks a box. They do very well...i'm impressed with them

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Sage

No reason I can think of, why new users can't ask questions like this? So it happens every year, so do lots of other things of this nature.

One of the best features of this site, is to find answers to questions that folks might have.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF
No reason I can think of, why new users can't ask questions like this? So it happens every year, so do lots of other things of this nature.

One of the best features of this site, is to find answers to questions that folks might have.

never said not to ask...but also search. IMO it's one of the best features of these types of forums. We all want to find someone else that is in our shoes and none of us wants to recreate the wheel.

ASK AWAY...but combine your question with "I have read that many others are using XXX, YYY, and ZZZ...are there any other new products that deserve mention?" and I think this place will continue to grow.

Last year, Hornady SST slugs were touted as some of the most accurate slugs out there...now we hear this year of some first hand accounts of people stating their expansion is somewhat less than desireable. I'd LOVE to do a water test on slugs...but I know NOONE that is willing to sacrifice their swimming pool, especially after I had a slug go thru 3'+ of deer and only stopped before exiting because it hit bone. I have NO doubt in my mind that if not for the femur that slug would have exited, and with a little extra authority at that point too. Who knows what some of the newer slugs will do especially the ballistic tips. Anyone wanna get together at the range? I think between us we can get enough water jugs and duct tape to rig up a good test of the slugs

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page