cable lock or trigger lock for semi-auto? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

cable lock or trigger lock for semi-auto?

Also, since the slide is locked back when using a cable lock, does storing it like this for an extended period weaken the spring?

I also imagine it would be quicker to "get ready" one with a trigger lock since you can store it with a loaded magazine?

Mossberg 500
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Browning BLR .308</span> Ruger American .308
Wicked Ridge Invader HP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: cable lock or trigger lock for semi-auto?

neither. in the event of an emergency when you need your gun you need it NOW!

imagine your hands shaking, your heart racing and you need the gun now,
you just heard glass breaking downstairs... you just woke up and your sweating you have to find the key or your keys and possibly make noise doing so. now that you have your key you have to get it in the lock, stop shaking get it lined up, you can hear a scene unfolding in your home footsteps voices.... where are the kids... ok get the clip... fumble it into the gun... where are the kids?
rack the slide... you are ready to go.

now imagine this,

Glass breaks, you wake up you're sweating you hear a voice and footsteps, who is it? your hands are shaking you pull open the nightstand door, put you hand down on the finger grooves, more foot steps... where are the kids? the door pops open grab the clip fumble into the gun, rack the slide you are ready.

It is the shallowest water that makes the most noise.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitcount
Also, since the slide is locked back when using a cable lock, does storing it like this for an extended period weaken the spring?

I also imagine it would be quicker to "get ready" one with a trigger lock since you can store it with a loaded magazine?
trigger lock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 10:07 PM

neither one - if you have a gun for home protection it needs to be ready to use in a heart beat. Clip in and chamber full! all you should need to remember to do is pull the trigger!!!! Waking up out of a dead sleep and having to fumble with anything could cost you your life!
if you have kids you teach them not to touch, if you have a wife teach her how to use it!

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
If it's locked up and put away - Your NOT safe!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:02 AM
The Man

Lock box beside the bed, at night its open, if I'm not around then its shut. You can open via key or code. All guns inside loaded and ready to go.

Don't Tread On Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:19 AM

Like most have said, If you have no kids like myself, it should be loaded and ready to go next to your bed at night and in the room you spend most of your time when not asleep during the day. Mine is kept in the holster even when not on my side. "Holster Safe". One in the chamber but the trigger is protected from accidental discharge by the holster. Grab, unsnap, aim.

"I refuse to tip-toe through Life only to arrive safely at Death"
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 10:55 AM
The Man

It's a touch call really. I always had mine with a loaded clip in the gun without a round chambered. It's easy to chamber a round.

The problem comes when there are kids around or have a spouse that doesn't want a easily accessable loaded gun in the house.

Like keystoneman85 said, a lock box is best.

Venison - The other fast food
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystoneMAN 85
Lock box beside the bed, at night its open, if I'm not around then its shut. You can open via key or code. All guns inside loaded and ready to go.
Great idea, I'm askin the wife for one for Christmas.

‎"When the mind fails to comprehend, the body must be punished" -3rd Battalion,Parris Island
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I agree with consensus that if you need your gun - you need it now. Up until this point, children were not a factor, and the gun has sat loaded next to the bed. However, we will have a 9 year old niece staying with us for a while, and I want to make sure there is no opportunity for an accident.

It's one thing to tell a kid not to touch it, and all about gun safety, etc - but as you all know - sometimes that makes a kid more curious.

I'm looking for the middle ground.

SGTUSMC may be on to something. I guess I can leave the gun locked when I'm not in bed, and unlock it when I retire for the night.

Mossberg 500
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Browning BLR .308</span> Ruger American .308
Wicked Ridge Invader HP

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:27 PM
The Man

Proper education will take care of the curiosity. My kids have seen many game animals come home dead in the back of the truck. They have seen bullet wounds in the bodies of skinned deer. They know what guns can do. Every kid should be able to see that, and not be sheltered from it as some parents like to do.

I come home from hunting, and leave my gun in the corner till I clean it. I don't worry about it at all as they know better. It's about the only thing I don't have to worry about with those two.

A few years ago I had a buck skinned in the shed that I shot with a 300 WSM at close range. It had a huge gaping hole through the rib cage. My then 5-6 year old daughter saw it, and asked how it got there. I told her that is where I shot it at. Lets just say she has a respect for firearms.

Venison - The other fast food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page