What revolver do I need? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
The Man

What revolver do I need?

So, say you have $800-$1000 to spend on a revolver, and you want something from .44mag on up to the smith and wesson 500. You're going to use it for deer, blackbear, punching paper, etc. What do you look for, new, used, manufacturer, etc. Give me some ideas here.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 12:18 PM
Sage

Re: What revolver do I need?

Biggest thing is single action or double action to my way of thinking... and for hunting or target I believe single action is the way to go. But someone else may have a different preference.

wmu 3A
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 12:51 PM
The Man

For what one guy's opinion is worth...............

If I were to be in the market for an all-purpose, large caliber revolver, I would look hard at two.....

Dan Wesson .445 Super Mag.........WAY sufficient for big game but can also shoot .44 Mag and .44 Special for target or fun plinking.

S&W .460 S&W........same as the .445 Super except on steroids. .460 S&W is goo for everything up to dinosaurs, pretty much. But you can also "scale down" and shoot .454 Casull and .45 Long Colt for lighter work and plinking.

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 12:52 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Don't need to spend that much for a quality revolver ? Look at Ruger, without question the best bang for your buck.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 01:11 PM
The Man

If I had $1000 to spend I would go used in a Ruger or S&W in 44 mag, then I would hope to have enough left over to purchase a used Ruger Single Six.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 02:32 PM

Here's my Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter. When I bought it, I could have bought just about anything I wanted. It's all in what you prefer. I've had many other revolvers in the past, and this is the platform I like best. It's a 44 Mag, ammo and components are abundant.

Alrighty then!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 03:14 PM

you could look at the larger calibers, but finding ammo for them might be a problem. the 44 mag. ammo is easier to find. as for the single action or double action, thats your choice. most revolver shooter usually pull the hammer back even on double actions, for better accuracy. less chance of pulling the sights off target when pulling the trigger. if you reload you are able to work loads for your gun. good luck. as far as for what make of revolver i like ruger. redhawk or blackhawk, you cant go wrong.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 04:02 PM

I would say a Colt Anaconda if looking for a used gun would be my choice. If getting a new revolver a Smith would be my choice of a wheel gun. If your going to put a scope on it the Rugers are better designed for that.

Smith & Wesson has some pretty sweet performance packages that would be nice handguns as well. I doubt they could be had under 1k though; can't say for sure though.

I have owned a couple of 629's with 8 3/8" barrels in .44 mag that would hit pop cans at 100 yards from the bench about every time open sights. Nice triggers on the Smiths too.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 04:19 PM
Frequent Contributor

I would get a used S&W 500. They are a lot of fun to shoot. If you are worried about ammo cost then I would get a 44 Mag. I have the Ruger Redhawk and my brother has the S&W 629. Both shoot great, but if you were planning on putting a scope on I would go with the Ruger.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 08:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

I would go with the .460 for the variety of ammo you can use.

Freedom is NOT free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page