22 pistol - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

22 pistol

I am using a recent incident my dog had with a fox as a justification for buying a new gun.I want a 22 or 17 cal pistol,stainless double action for 300 or less. Any recommendations? I though I heard about a ten-shot 22 pistol (Ruger?) new this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: 22 pistol

The new Ruger Mark III's are updates to the II's. They "moved" some stuff around like the magazine release (I'm going off of memory here) and maybe....just maybe made the safety better??

The "old" Ruger's were really reliable, but the updated one's are better yet. If you can spring for the III, get it.

I have a Browning Buckmark Bullseye Target but mine was made before they had 'em in stainless.

These are also very reliable and accurate. Not legal for hunting here in Pa. though. I use mine for target shooting and rimfire Club shoots.

SW
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 03:17 AM
Regular Visitor

I used to hunt bunnies with a Ruger Mark II using iron sights. It was a very good pistol and death on bunnies. My buddies laughed at me as the carried scoped rifles and one had a .44 Mag with shot shells. After I flipped a few running bunnies with head shots they stopped laughing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 11:26 AM

Ruger Semi .22 the Mark II or III series is very nice. I think the bull barrel, adjustable sights 5.5" barrel blued I have seen for about $299. I have a MarkII bull barrel that shoots VERY good and accurate.

Taurus makes the mod.94 revolver which is a 10 shot 22 lr. I own one and it is a pretty good shooter to 25 yrds or so. I have the 4" barrel stainless, I think they run about $300 also. Probably can find one less on-line.

Someday I would love to own a S&W .22LR revolver - but they are gonna run you over the $300 mark
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:45 PM
The Man

Heritage Rough Rider <$200 - but it's single action. Why would you need double action in a .22? Just wondering ...

Don't Tread On Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1
Taurus makes the mod.94 revolver which is a 10 shot 22 lr. I own one and it is a pretty good shooter to 25 yrds or so. Someday I would love to own a S&W .22LR revolver - but they are gonna run you over the $300 mark
i'll 2nd the fact they are good shooters , but I believe they are a 9 shooter unless they added a 10th chamber in recent history
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Sage

I'd "third it", but my Taurus is the M96 six shot, which they no longer make. Pretty much the same pistol as the nine shot version, or was, back when I bought mine over 25 years ago?

Six inch barrel, nice finish. Still looks as-new after all these years and is very accurate and has a great SA trigger pull. I've taken 'chucks, raccoons, crows, bunnies and a few other critters with mine over the years.

Back when I bought it new, was less than half the cost of a new S&W K22.

Bought a new Ruger MkIII 22/45 when they reintroduced them a year or two ago, but mine has the original (too) slim molded-in grips.

After I got mine, Ruger changed to replacable 1911 grip panels, which are far better for filling the hand. The old 22/45s had much better grips, in my opinion, than the skinny grips on my pistol.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

My 96 was my "just got out of the service gun" , so that was in 1992.
I think it cost about $200.00.
Blued/6 inch/6 shooter.Pretty much a safe queen because of the 94 and a rossi 518 I use alot.
At the time , couldn't decide if I wanted a 6 shooter/6 inch "96" or the 9 shooter/4 inch"94"
Gun dealer said get both , one for each hand , he was a heck of a salesman.
In semi's , I like them buckmarks , just as long as they aren't the hi-viz sight models
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

no really good reason other than I have a single action 44, a semi 45 and I just want a double action 22. must be an ego thing...makes my gun collection sound fancier than it really is.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

The double action wheelguns will be faster to reload that a single action and 22 pistols are ment for alot of shooting.

I used to have a ruger super single six , supposedly a great wheelgun , mine was junk.
The rough rider I had that cost about a 3rd of the price outshoot that ruger all day.
But those rough riders have gone up in price the last few years.
I recall when they were commonly $99.99.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page