FYI-> Moon Gander Mountain Shotgun Boresighting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

FYI-> Moon Gander Mountain Shotgun Boresighting

To their credit, they tried to make it right, but Gander Mountain boresighted my Mossberg 500 twice yesterday and both times it was 12" low at 25 yards. I looked through the scope and saw it zeroed in the boresighter myself, so it must be faulty or user error setting it up. $25 worth of ammo and a sore shoulder later, my slug gun is finally sighted in.

2B, Central Ohio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: FYI-> Moon Gander Mountain Shotgun Boresighting

once you had it on paper you should have posted and some one could have talked you through the rest of it and saved you $20.00 and a sore shoulder. I had a 3oo win mag that was twisting in the rings that will make you talk to your self.
IMHO bore sighting is to only get you on paper and let you know if you have a problem down the road (providing you make notes were it is on the bore sighter after you get it on at 100 yards)
Mike
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Actually, I know how to sight the gun in. I had it on at 50 in a few rounds. Unfortunately, these sabot slugs add up quick.

2B, Central Ohio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 04:12 PM

Is it a cantilever barrel/scope mount? Most bore sight systems are calibrated to be "on" when the line of sight (center of scope) is about 1.5" above the bore. If you used cantilever mounts and/or high rings, those bore sight systems won't even be close.

I see this all the time with AR15's and guns with "see thru" rings. If the scope's 2.5" above the bore and the center of the bore sighter is 1.5" above, you can't line the 2 up.

FYI, the Leupold style, "magnetic" bore sighter that attaches to the muzzle with a magnet can be used quite accurately (if your muzzle is square). You just have to center the bore sighter the same height above the bore as the scope.

Bore sighting ain't difficult, but some "clerks" have no idea....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bownut
Is it a cantilever barrel/scope mount? Most bore sight systems are calibrated to be "on" when the line of sight (center of scope) is about 1.5" above the bore. If you used cantilever mounts and/or high rings, those bore sight systems won't even be close.
That makes a lot of sense and was probably the problem. Thanks!

2B, Central Ohio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page