youth shotgun for adults? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
The Man

youth shotgun for adults?

The other day I was looking at shotguns at the gunshop. I was looking to upgrade my much beloved Savage 20 gauge. My three biggest concerns are fit, price and weight. Weight being the biggest factor. I do way more walking than shooting when my 20 gauge shotgun sees the woods.

An 870 express youth caught my eye. It was a lot shorter with the 21" barrel. The LOP is an inch shorter than regular shotguns so I pulled it up to check it out. I had doubts I could use it as I am 6'2". To my surprise it felt pretty good. Sorta like a 94 winchester. That was with a sweatshirt on. Most of my shotgun use is in winter with much more clothes on.

Weight? A grand total of 6 lb's.

I liked it so I bought it.

Course it doesn't hurt that I have a 6 and 8 year old daughters that like to go too. It's also nice that my 8 year old can shoulder the gun. I'll have to get her out to try it sometime. Right now she does goes along for he ride.

Anyway, does anybody else hunt with one?

Venison - The other fast food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Re: youth shotgun for adults?

I got out and shot it some today. I shot some express #6's high brass. I shot at about 10 and 25 yards. Shoots good. It does seem to want to shoot a wisker to the right, but I'm thinking those were just me. Resting on my knee I can center the shot perfectly.

On another note with the very light weight it kicked harder than my 12 gauge Mossberg with similar shells. You knew it went off.My 8 year old daughter was with me, and she wanted to give it a try. She has only ever shot a 22 before. I stood right with her, and I'm glad I did. She almost dropped it. I know I should have had a few low brass rounds, but I didn't know she was going to go till the last minute.

All in all I like it. I think it will be a great gun for the thick, nasty bunny field I normally hunt. If the LOP prooves to be too short I may just add a slip on recoil pad. I'll have to take it out, and hunt with it before I do that though.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My dad bought me the same gun when I turned 12, I'm 27 now and still hunt with it. It's nice for shooting rabbits in thick cover, I can swing the short barrel in thick cover with ease.

Free Madcatter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 12:46 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i am a 5'7" butterball and in the woods look like the pillsbury dough boy. the youth type rifle and shotguns fit me great. the lighter weight is a plus.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 03:50 PM

I got a mossberg 500 this year. it has only a 18in barrel on it. My self I like a shorter barrel for deer hunting it feels way better to me.....
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Took it for a walk today. I really like it. It feels like I'm carrying NOTHING!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have a 20 gauge youth and love it . It is like I am just going for a walk and not carrying anything . It is a lot better than carrying my old Marlin 51 12 gauge . That is one big cannon .

MuzzleMike

Come and see me on YT !
http://www.youtube.com/user/MuzzleMike
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

I bought my son a winchester speed pump he used it while he was growin' and loved it... 12 gauge, shortened stock, pump action is short stroked and is quick, its light fast and he hit what he shot at..he filled out now and carries a beretta 390..
now I'm carrying it... its fast to the shoulder for me light and easy to carry.. comes up like a dream...
very functional and has flexibility of the 12...
Id recommend it to anyone...
Just my .02 cents worth..
OC
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:48 PM
The Man

I have a savage 220f 20 gauge youth that is awesome especially when I have bulky cold weather clothing on. Plus it's like carrying a toy while walking.

John Adams - "One useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in