Mossberg - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Mossberg

Of all places I thought I'd not be recommending...Mossberg.

My son bought a Mossberg rifled barrel last week (for an old 500 shotgun I gave him). It shoots lights out. 12 ga 2 3/4 inch Remington sluggers, cloverleaf at 50 yards. So it is off to a family New York deer hunting in 10 days.

Like all pump guns sling swivels are difficult to mount on the mag tube. Mossbergs are especially tough as they have a screw not a nut (unlike Rem 870s). but I have tapped a plug screw on a few.

Now it seems the new barrel mag bolts have a tap hole in them. I tried Brownells and Midway to get a screw that would mate..no luck.

so I emailed Mossberg, defining the problem.

They emailed back today and said if I gave them my home address, they would send me on free. An American made product that is inexpensive and they SUPPORT their customer base.

Hats off to Mossberg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 12:52 AM
The Man

Re: Mossberg

I have no idea why some people hate Mossberg shotguns. They are dirt cheap and work great. Sure they are rough around the edges, but they smooth out the more you hunt with one.

It's sort of like beer if you will. If you are used to cheap beer, and never drink much else you wouldn't know the difference. But if you got used to "good" beer anything less is...well...less.

I see guys on here all the time telling how they wouldn't even paddle a conoe with one. I'm guessing either they never tried one or they are just used to a much higher end gun.

Venison - The other fast food
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

the only brand shot gun i have had for years is mossberg. i wont by nothing else. good luck to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 07:47 PM
New Arrival

I have 2 Mossbergs...the 500 and the 835.Never had a problem with either one of them.

"Live Like You Were Dying" Tim McGraw
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 07:59 PM

I bought my first 835 a year after they came out. Got my son an 835 about 6 years ago because I was impressed with the reliability of mine. Now between the two of us we have 4 835's and a 935. Can you say were sold on Mossberg? Also my FIL has an old maverick that I've never seen malfunction either.

NOTE TO VEGETARIANS: My food poops on your food! Enjoy your salad!!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have owned and still own two 500s have for years. Never had a problem with either, they are the easiest gun to take down for a though cleaning I have owned. I own a couple other shot guns, a Rem and a Winchester, The rem is a great gun with beautiful wood, but not something I want to take out fox hunting at mid-night in the brush, or on the marsh duck hunting, or for that matter stomping through the brush rabbit hunting.
If the old Mossberg gets another scratch no big deal. The Mossberg is like the Timex, takes a beating and keeps on ticking.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have an835 and have taken it to Saskatchewan and Missouri for snow geese. Fired around 150 shots in 3 days in Sask. and no problems. 2 trips to Mo. and fired around 100 shots, no problems. Think it is a great gun. I fired 3 1/2 and 3" magnums.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 08:04 PM

My 835 patterns better than my $1600 Benelli SBE 2.

Never Misses
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 08:32 PM

I got 3 Mossberg 500's and 1 Mossberg 835 ..... ALL excellent guns for the $$!

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">Atlantic Flyway</span></span>
Member:
~ NRA
~ York Riflemen
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I bought the 500 I gave my son back in 1972, when the steel shot ban came out. $56.

It has taken a beating, constantly. Probably killed 40-50 geese, 10 turkeys, untold ducks and more than a few bunnies with it.

The blueing when new is so thin that it rusted every day I took it in the boat waterfowl hunting. So I automotive strayed the barrel 9action is al) then I use hose paint on the stock, Lexington green, as all the finish disolved in a rain/sleet storm in Crawford county.

I've only had one design/manufacturing failure. the magazine tube 3-shot restrictor was made from 3/16 raw wood. I warped terrible and bound the mag spring. $45 to rebuild it. at Mossberg gunsmith. i replaced with a 3/8 impregnated hardwood dowel. Works good now. I understand that they use a plastic rod now, good thinking guys.

They are low cost, low end finshed, but are cheap. And durable. No comparison to and Rem 870 nor any of my Italian doubles. But they are cheap and durable..again.

For a guy starting hunting, not a bad way to get into the sport.

PS I've shot a 25 at trap with the old clunker. Yep, it got laughs..but 3 of the other guys on line that night shot less than a 25. LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page