Want to try a pistol - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Want to try a pistol

I' ve had this bug lately to harvest a deer with a revolver. What are your opinions. .357, .41, .45.? Scope or not? I don't know that I want to go the scope route but looking for feedback. Obviously I will practice a lot before I attempt to hunt with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Want to try a pistol

I took 7 bucks with a TC encore, 30-06 15" barrel, 3x12 Burris scope It is not easy, hunt by a tree to steady the gun, I would recommend a dot sight, much easier to hold steady and good out to say 150 yards
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 10:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have taken many deer and hogs with both encore/contender and my old 480 ruger raging bull.Some cals used in encore or contender setup that I have taken game with are
454 casull
30-30 win
7-30 waters
475 linebaugh
309 jdj
375 jdj
I prefer a variable scope in the 2-7 range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 10:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would go with a minimum 41 mag...yeah the 357 will kill a deer, but it is not the optimal round IMHO
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 11:02 PM

I strictly handgun hunt, start with squirrels and a good 22 revolver then progress to deer i use a s&w 629 6" barrel 44 mag with a burris fastfire sight. Most time i carry a telescoping shooting stick that doubles as a walking stick and no its not easy as for the 357 the hit has to be nearly perfect to be effective

It may be a poor choice of words but I am smart enough to understand what you meant.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

The .41 mag intrigues me for some reason but there is a lot less variety of rounds. I guess the 44 is probably the way to go. Still looking for more feedback. I'm in no rush. Thanks for the quick replies.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 05:31 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've taken several deer, including one this year with a handgun.

In a revolver, I would go with something in .44 Magnum. Yes, the .357 Magnum will take deer and will be fine if that's all you want to hunt. I have two .44 Magnum revolvers and prefer the heavier bullet and increased energy.

The .41 Magnum is a good cartridge, but you might not be able to find ammo. Pretty much like the .30/06, you'd be able to find .44 Magnum ammo anywhere.

I'm very partial to Ruger firearms. Built like tanks. If you really intend to mount a scope, I highly recommend the Ruger Super Redhawk. I've used one for more than 20 years.

If you don't plan on mounting a scope, you can get the Ruger Super Blackhawk. I carry this revolver as a sidearm when I'm hunting with a rifle, or if I'm handgun hunting in really thick brush and my longest shot would be 50 yards and under.

You can get the Super Blackhawk Hunter, but the scope mounts on the barrel and I don't like the feel/balance when a scope is mounted.

If you want to get away from revolvers, then you can go with the T/C Contender or Encore. I took my deer this year using a Contender chambered in 7-30 Waters. Love that gun and cartridge. There are numerous calibers available for you to choose from in the Contender.

The Encore is a little beefier and you can get it chambered in rifle calibers.

I have Bushnell Trophy 2-6x scopes mounted on my Super Redhawk and T/C Contender.

Steve
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 05:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My scoped Ruger Super Redhawk

My non-scoped Super Blackhawk

My scoped T/C Contender

Steve
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 05:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

This is not one of my guns, but I'm posting the picture to show you how the scope is mounted on a Super Blackhawk Hunter.

Steve
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 11:05 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ptspike
I' ve had this bug lately to harvest a deer with a revolver. What are your opinions. .357, .41, .45.? Scope or not? I don't know that I want to go the scope route but looking for feedback. Obviously I will practice a lot before I attempt to hunt with it.
I have harvested a lot of deer with pistols and revolvers over the years in .357, .44 and a 45-70. Most have come from my .357 revolvers. Distances have been as close as 50 feet to my longest a lasered 137 yards with a scoped .357 pistol. Most say the .357 does not have enough power for deer. I am here to tell you they are incorrect. Shot placement is critical no matter what weapon or round you use. The key in my opinion is bullet weight. Use a lite bullet and you will wound and loose more deer. I use a 180 grain Lead Bullet Technology wide flat nose cast bullet. On my longest shot, I had a complete pass through. The deer walked 30 yards and dropped. I cast and reload my own ammunition however you can buy loaded ammunition. Take a look at Midwayusa they sell several brands of heavyweight ammunition. Good luck in your choice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page