Rifled Barrel vs. Dedicated Slug Gun - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Rifled Barrel vs. Dedicated Slug Gun

I hope this isn't beatin to death in here as I didn't do much research but I'm in the process of moving completely away from rifle hunting and 100% in the shotgun slugs/sabbots direction. Living close to Jersey and shotgun over counties, it just makes sense. Plus I am TERRIBLE with a rifle and excellent with a shotgun.

So my question is do I outfit my existing 870 with a rifled barrel and scope or do I go all out and get a dedicated bolt action slug gun. Is there a huge benifit in accuracy with a dedicated gun or am I just saving the annoyance of having to chance barrels? Obviosuly its a LOT cheaper to just go the barrel route but this will be my 'gun' for the long haul. That said I do not hunt deer with a gun much. Max of 5-7 days a year.
Can anyone educate a brother on the pros and cons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 03:37 PM

Re: Rifled Barrel vs. Dedicated Slug Gun

I have several shotguns so I turned a mossy 500 into a slug gun.I like the pump action. I find that it does pretty good at 100 with Hornady ammo. So I never change the barrel back. Just use a different shotgun for pheasent or grouse.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
If it's locked up and put away - Your NOT safe!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

I like a dedicated gun. I bought a savage 220 and put a good scope on it. It was a very good investment. I like to know that I am not limited by my equipment. I also use it in the midwest. The other option is to get a good inline muzzleloader like a Thompson Prohunter. This gives you more options in NJ and the midwest with separate seasons but still legal in shotgun area.

There's hunting and there's hunting with a good dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 06:49 AM

savage 220
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 01:43 PM
The Man

<Plus I am TERRIBLE with a rifle and excellent with a shotgun.>

Then you will be terrible with a slug gun. The same discipline used in rifle shooting applies to shooting a slug gun.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 01:44 AM
The Man

Slug guns with rifled barrels... the slug ammo is so expensive!!!! Take this into consideration before you go into using a shotgun only...I know if you live in NJ you almost have too.. There is a web site www.ballisticproducts.com that you can reload your own sabots and rifled slugs with components. That might be something to consider big time. reloading so you can practice with the gun and not break the bank for slug ammo????they do sale kits that have the sabots, fillers, hulls with primers in them already... All you need is a MEC press and maybe a roll crimper for your drill to seal in the sabot..Always tell them you want the hand outs that go with all the equipment you buy from them.. It will even give you the powder charges to use etc. However buy one of their cheap reloading books for shotgun slug/sabot reloading. If your going to be a shotgunner you need to save money big time on the ammo..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 01:47 AM
The Man

Encore makes a nice shotgun for slugs. It's a single shot but it's quite accurate.. I have a 12 gauge slug barrel for my Encore.. I purchased the barrel used...They also sell a 20 gauge slug barrel for the Encore system..You can just change out the shotgun barrel and slip on a rifle or inline barrel too if you desire later..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page