H&R 20gauge slug selections - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

H&R 20gauge slug selections

I bought a new Ultra Slug Hunter in 20gauge for the upcoming firearms season and have been a little disappointed in the results so far. Have put about 40-50 rounds of various slugs through to date. Lightfields grouped ok (5-6") but had I 2 pierced primers from one box which was a little concerning. Hornady SST's seemed all over the place from the one box I shot and seemed to hit "sideways" through the target at 100yds....not sure what that means if anything. Remington copper solids and accutips seemed to group better but nothing has grouped like the copper solids would in the 12gauge version of the same gun that I already have.
I've read the slower speed slugs (Lightfields - 1450fps and copper solids - 1500fps)are supposed to fly better with the barrel twist in the gun. I have an older nikon 3-9x40 buckmaster model scope on the gun with the factory base and warne medium height rings. Everything seems solid so no reason to believe the setup is moving around. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with the 20gauge version of these guns?
As a sidenote, I have had past issues with the 12gauge and numerous missfires. I had the hammer spring changed last year and the first few boxes were fine but then had the problem come back. I'm probably should contact the company and send it back for them to evaluate the gun at this point to seen if they can pinpoint the issue. Its about 5 years old now and did not have issues until around 100 rounds were put through.

I would appreciate any feedback on the 20gauge slug selection or the 12gauge missfire issue.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 12:50 PM
The Man

Re: H&R 20gauge slug selections

Clean the gun lately? Is the scope secure with Lok-Tite? I assume your shooting from a solid rest?

Don't Tread On Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I do have all of those items covered....thanks for the reply. Thats why its a little frustrating. Still looking for some ideas from H7R owners if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 12:41 AM
The Man

I do own a H&R 20 Ultra Slugger, I'm curious as to why your having issues is the crown scratched or damaged?

Don't Tread On Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 01:52 AM
The Man

Not the same gun, but I was with a buddy last year when he sighted in his 20 gauge mossberg slug gun. In his case the group size was in direct correlation of the speed of the slug. The slower the better in his case.

The cheap slow lead sabots would go head to head with the best of center fire rifles in accuracy. One ragged hole at 50 yards. Shoot the fast (1800-2000fps), and it was all over the place. Didn't matter what brand in either case.

He just made a compromise with speed vs accuracy with his gun. I think the slugs he is shooting are in the 1700fps range, and there isn't a deer inside of 100 yards that's safe.

Venison - The other fast food
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Frequent Contributor

The factory doesn't recommend the faster slugs...If the SST's are going sideways the bullet isn't stabilized and going to fast for the barrel rate of twist. I had the same issues and switched to buckhammers and had good results.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page