Getting hard to pump - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Getting hard to pump

My poor ole Savage 67 20 gauge pump that is. It was well used when I got it when I was 11 years old, and 24 years and thousands of shots later it is pretty much the same. It's one of those guns that gets used and abused. Typically just wipe it down at the end of the day and put it away till next time. It is my go to shotgun for everything except turkey and coyotes, and I don't hunt either of those much anymore.

Anymay, it is getting hard to pump. Sorta feels like it sticks and sorta rough. If you hit the slide release it pumps smooth. Pull the trigger, and it pumps really hard.

I'm guessing there is a buildup of grime inside the bolt assembly? It has never failed to fire. The most it has ever been truely cleaned was spraying gun scrubber in the action until the black stopped purring out. I have no idea how to take it apart.

It seems to have started this year. I took it to the gamelands the other day, and had two ringnecks come my way. The first one was down, and had to really pull hard on the pump to work the action. I actually had to pull it twice because it never did that before. Luckily I was able to do it fast enough to get the second bird.

I brought it home, and sprayed gun scrubber in the action and into the bolt until the can was empty. I gave it a shot of oil for lube, and it feels the same way.

Any ideas?

Venison - The other fast food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Banned

Re: Getting hard to pump

thats a funny title for a thread
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
The Man

thanks for the insite. My problem is now solved.

Wasn't even thinking of it that way. Don't even get the laugh really. Last time I even made reference to something it got me banned for a week.

I just wanted to know my options. I don't even know of a gunsmith in the area. The only one I know of is in Danville, and he don't touch shotguns.

I would love to just sit this one in the corner and buy a new one, but not an option at this time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hunt/Fish, you can drop the trigger assembly by punching out the two drift pins on the receiver. Use a brass or plastic drift pin punch. That should allow you to remove the trigger assembly which will allow you to see the action bar as it slides in the receiver with the bolt. I believe that there is only one action bar on your Savage. It 's possible that it's bent but I'd try to clean it first.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks for the advise. There is only one bar.

I was able to get out today for a bit with my daughter. She has been buggin me for about a week now. I normally don't hunt squirrel with a shotgun anymore, but I decided I wanted to try it again.

Same thing. I have to pump it like I hate it. It never used to be that way. It almost feels like it wants to hang up when you first go to pump it.

It's sort of like that old pair of shoes or that older truck you've been driving......Just don't want to give it up. Just may have to break down, and buy a new one. Keep the old one for back up eventhough I have two others.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 12:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It's great to get the kids out when you can.
I know the feeling about old guns.
I had a H&R pump shotgun that I bought when I was 14 with grass cutting money. I loaned it to a friend and got it back broken. I took it to several gunsmiths who said that parts weren't available to fix it. The gun sat in my gun cabinet for 30+ years. A few years ago at the Harrisburg Sportsman Show I talked to a rep from Numrich Arms who was able to get me the parts I needed to fix the gun. Although I now have several better shotguns to choose from, that old H&R makes more trips to the field than the more expensive ones.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 03:31 AM

I jus had that problem on my mossberg 500 I bought used today for deer season. I torew it part and took the guts out of it and cleanded it good now its works very very smooth
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was thinking the same as ronnya1, is the slide bar bent?
If not how about a little Liquid Wrench.
Can't hurt.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
The Man

If it were a bent action bar would it be hard to pump all the time? If I hit the slide release it's smooth as silk. Pull the trigger, and your left arm better be in shape.

If there is something mechanically wrong with it there sure isn't any shame in it. I'm gunna try to take it apart to see what I can see. Maybe I'll just tell my wife I need a new one Happy birthday to me!!!!

I can always use my 12 gauge Mossberg 500 or the 1100 auto, but I like the slimness and lightness of the Savage a lot better.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Parts to fix it

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Browse.aspx?Cat=3037

Type in "67"

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page