Barrel lenght - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Barrel lenght

6 inch vs 8 inch, is there a big difference? The cal. would be a .44mag, and ported barrel,

"one hand clapping" mork from ork
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 09:43 PM
atr
Banned

Re: Barrel lenght

I would say the longer barrel would give you a slight edge in accuracy and a few more FPS, but not enough difference if you like the 6" bar.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 05:55 PM

I love long barreled .44 mags. My current Dan Wesson has a 10 inch barrel, full lug and vent rib. Very heavy, but it also nose heavy. I find 8 inches and up most are like this. It`s a give and take. A single action .44 mag with a longer barrel is less nose heavy than a double action due to usually more thickness forward with the barrel. Are you looking at single or double action?

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 10:56 PM

I have had a number of .44 revolvers over the years and settled on the 8 3/8" as my hunting revolver. The little bit of extra weight and length of barrel makes it much more comfortable to shoot IMO.

I use mine for hunting deer and the extra barrel length doesn't give me any trouble in a hip holster. I don't scope handguns. Even a 6" barrel seems a little short in the woods deer hunting. My 8 3/8" seems long inside a building but out hunting it seems just right. The little bit of extra weight is nice in a .44 IMO and doesn't tire me out at all in the hip holster. My longer barrel was more accurate than the 6" but can't say for sure if it was the longer barrel or not. For hunting I would go the longer barrel although the longest I have owned is 8 3/8".

As far as ported barrels go they are louder. A long barrel .44 is heavy enough to not need any recoil reduction. I don't care for ports.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 01:25 PM

To me, there is a big difference between 6 & 8 inch barrels. For me personally, this has become the no-go zone. I just don't care for all the extra weight hanging out front. The only revolver I have with a barrel longer than 6 inches is my old original Ruger Redhawk, which does not get much field use any more. It was used to get my first two handgun bucks.

IMO, a 5 inch N or L frame S&W makes for the perfect packing handgun for general field use. I've shot deer just fine with a 3 inch 44 spl. This year I'll be fielding my, new to me, 44 mountain gun with a 4 inch skinny barrel.

Shoot enough with revolvers and you get to know what you like and what you don't like. Folks stay there isn't much difference, but to me it's a big difference in balance and feel.

I can even feel the difference in rotational mass between a fluted and a non-fluted cylinder shooting double action. I admit I love the look of un-fluted cylinders, but I much prefer shooting double action with fluted (lighter) cylinders.

Big LSWC's rule
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Regular Visitor

Try the website called www.ballisticsbytheinch.com and they break down the velocity and energy for many calibers in relation to barrel length. Also if you are shooting open sight the longer the barrel the easier it seems do to a longer sight radius. If you are planning on scoping it that issue goes away, and then you are primarily just concerned with feel and looks. I have 4, 6.5, and 7.5 inch .44mags, all open sight and I prefer to carry the 4 but shoot the longer ones more precisely.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page