full sized 1911 to 3" 1911 transition? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

full sized 1911 to 3" 1911 transition?

Just curious what others' experiences have been? I'm contemplating changing my carry handgun up from a G23 to a compact 1911. I shoot a full sized 1911 considerably better, more consistently, than I do the G23. A lot has to do with my grip. I have to think a lot more about it with the G23 than with the 1911.

Granted, practice helps with that, however the Kimber carry guns I've handled have all felt a lot more "natural" to me than my G23.

For those who've done it, did a good fit with a full size 1911 (I have GI M1911A1) tend to translate to similar comfort/ease of use with a compact version?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 02:21 PM

Re: full sized 1911 to 3" 1911 transition?

The transition from full size to compact isn't bad as far as grip goes but it will take practice for follow up shots. The smaller frame and snappy recoil makes you work a little harder to reacquire your sight picture. Its nothing that can't be overcome with some practice.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Gotcha. That's sort of what I anticipated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 12:57 PM

Have you considered the 4"?? I carry a pro raptor II and I love it...carries well for a full sized gun..handles like a 1911 but that inch shorter barrel makes it easier to carry IMO...

Recoil and shooting is fine..for some reason the 3" becomes more of a handful...the 4" I can shoot..I just shot a little steel last week and was able to ring it every shoot and pound the shots out fast...

I think the 4" 1911 is a perfect carry gun...if you are into 1911s and carrying a full sized gun...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 11:45 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a Sig ultra 1911. 3.3" barrel. Fits perfect in my hand and handles really well. I also have a Ruger full size 1911. I shoot both well. I don't find the Sig to have much more snap than the Ruger. Not sure why. The Sig is a dream to carry.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 10:25 PM

I don't think the transition you mention (Glock 23 to 1911) has much at all to do with size! Mostly because the triggers are night and day! I got my first glock early this year. Took me 3 trips to range to figure out the trigger.

I have a first gen Kimber compact carry and had a full size 1911 before that. The Kimber is snappy, but really not too bad. Funny enough, the full size I had seemed to twist more during recoil where my compact seems to be quick and straight back.

I will say that nothing else created by man carries easier than a compact 1911 using IWB holster. AND, I could be talked out of my Kimber since I've kinda turned into a revolver snob over the last few years.

Big LSWC's rule

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page