Strange to me. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Strange to me.

Bought a used Glock 19 Gen 3 9mm from a member. Haven't shot it yet, but tore it down (takes about 5 seconds total) to get a bit familiar. It's strange that there is no external safety mechanism ? Is that common to all model Glocks ? Seems odd that when it's "Hot", it's a go from a trigger pull standpoint ? I'm not a semi-auto pistol guy, but my pals Ruger had the external lever safety, so I guess it's not the "norm" on all ? Somehow they claim the little lever addition to the trigger is a Safety, but I sure don't see how. Depress it all and it goes Boom.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Sage

Re: Strange to me.

It's just like carrying a revolver... I prefer no external safety but again it's a preference.

Keep yer finger off the tricker till yer ready to shoot

wmu 3A
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 12:09 PM

I have a Glock 27 Gen 4 and I carry with one up the spout. I had some trouble adjusting to having the safety inbedded in the trigger rather than in a more traditional location. But as Td said - just like a revolver; keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire. And like Tuco said: "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 12:10 PM

The trigger is the safety. When you might really need to fire the gun why waste time trying to find the safety. Reliability and ease of use is why a lot of the LE community carry glocks.

I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

I can see it from a Law Enforcement standpoint for sure. Not having to fiddle with an external safety in the heat of the moment. I'm just not seeing the immediacy of need in a "private" civilian type of setting/situation. I would think the pull and shoot immediately situation from a civilian carry standpoint would be VERY few and far between.

I'm ok with it for sure. Just seemed a bit odd ?

2A-Wash. Co.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Sage

Learn to keep the finger away from the trigger <span style="font-style: italic">until</span> ready to shoot and all will be fine.

We teach people to always place their trigger finger along the slide or pistol frame first, to ensure safe handling.

That's usually THE number one safety issue in beginner handgun courses, as many like to stick their finger in there as soon as they pick up the pistol. Anyone that shows up at one of our classes with a Glock, gets immediate attention on that detail.

Not a Glock fan for numerous reasons, but they do seem to figure in an awful lot of accidental discharges due to improper handling?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 01:18 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have owned several Glocks and the gun is as safe as the shooter. The holsters I carry them in protect the trigger and position my finger so that when I draw my trigger finger comes out on the gun where it should be, along the side of the gun until I am ready to fire. If you are carrying it with a jacket or fleece that has a pull cord on the side near where you carry the gun make sure to keep the cord away from the firearm or cut it off the fleece. If caught in the gun they can cause an negligent discharge. I read about an LEO doing this before. I myself after taking some classes prefer the Glocks only having the internal safety for Home Defense as this saves you precious time when confronted at close range like a mugging. That being said I switched to a S&W shield for EDC this year just because it is so comfortable to carry an conceal and it has an external safety which I can choose to use or not. If you get tired of the Glock you can always sell it to me cheap or we can do some horsetrading.

Molon Labe
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 01:29 AM

Have been carrying a Glock 23 gen 1 (literally has a 3 digit serial #) for almost 25 years. They are safe. Started my son with it when he was 12. As others have said , it's as safe as the shooter.

In Memory of LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10
Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Denny, I would be all ears if you care to let me know the "cons" of your Glock view. I never owned one, and haven't even shot this yet. I HOPE they are not notorious for jamming ? I will say, accuracy is of little concern, since I will not be entering any Cowboy Shoots with it. If you ask me, most slide guns are inherently inaccurate, and should be expected to be to a degree ? A protection weapon (to me at least), has to function flawlessly when you need it to go boom. Accuracy, when it comes to center mass aimpoint at a matter of feet, is up to the shooter, not the gun ?

Buckhunter. Would love to hear what brand/style of shoulder holster fits well with a Glock Gen 3 19 9mm ?

UPON FURTHER REVIEW, I really made a poor choice when I blatantly stated "accuracy is of little concern". But I THINK yinz know what I was getting at ? These aren't 1" group at 50 yard types of guns, and I don't expect them to be.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 05:29 PM

I think you'll find your glock shoots pretty decent... and as always....keep your booger hook off the bang switch until its time to shoot something...

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page