Looking for a pistol - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Looking for a pistol

Ill be turning 21 in a few weeks and I want to get a pistol for concealed carry. I am thinking of a 357 so I have versatility as far and what rounds I can shoot. Any good recommendations for a pistol.

"I don't shoot well but I shoot often" -Teddy Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 01:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Looking for a pistol

357 has stopping power but your kind of stuck with a revolver and a heavy one at that. There is more things to consider when picking a carry piece than you think. Many books have been written on the subject.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 01:50 PM

I don't have a recco for a specific pistol for you, but you should take into consideration the conditions in which you will be carrying the firearm. Include into them your clothing, the environment/s in which you intend to have the firearm just to name a few. I personally carry a Ruger LC9 in the spring, summer and fall. In the winter time I carry a Glock 27 Gen 4.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 03:25 PM

Carrying a pistol for concealed is a big decision. Like jimsdad said a lot of things to consider. I always think of safety in carrying first. I've carried 45,s and 9mm most of the time. Check out youtube there's a lot of good info. I prefer the Glock 26. Look at hickock45 on the U tube. Good info. Be Safe.

I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 03:19 AM
Part of the Community

My carry gun is a Taurus model 84 38 Spl I picked it up cheap on here and cant really complain. I like it because its nickel so it will not rust likes blued, and since it was not very expensive the constant abuse of carrying on a daily basis will not effect it that much. Unfortunately carrying a revolver really in today's world with mostly autos is sort of like showing up to a gun fight with a bow. I was set on a 357 to carry as well, but have sort of been looking into a 9mm since they have a much higher round capacity. I do not carry on a daily basis mostly when i'm hiking. If you want a carry revolver get a 4 in 357 a 6 is to big and the 2 gives no gain over a 38 spl.

"If its brown its going down"

"If it ain't red leave it in the shed"
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 07:33 AM

Like many have said, lots of decisions. I started w/a 4" GP100 .357 as my first w/versatility in mind and sold it within a year, realizing it was the best of neither world. Either go for carrying or go for hunting. Doing both with one gun may prove difficult.

Go and get your hands on as many guns as you can. Shoot some if possible. You will know the right gun when you find it
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 05:48 PM

If you are thinking about a CC gun for self-defense, I wouldn't go .357 either. Ruger makes a great light .38 revolver, the LCRX, that's single and double action and it's very easy to CC and the Taurus 85 ultra-lite is convenient as well. Or check out the 9mm semi-autos like the LC9 to see which one fits you best. If the reason you 're thinking .357 is to hunt with it as well, then you're probably better off for your own comfort carrying it open carry in a OWB holster because of it's weight and bulk. That's what I do with my Dan Wesson 6" .357. A very light .357 is no fun to shoot and difficult to shoot accurately beyond self-defense range.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 03:34 PM

I think you should start with some fundamental knowledge and skip the dictionary for now. A "pistol" is generally considered to be a semi-automatic or auto-loading hand gun. A revolver is not a pistol. Don't believe me, check out the IDPA rule book : IDPA 2014 Rule Book

So, taking your post at face value, you will be limited to a couple of .357 chambered pistols that will all be heavier than your average 22 rifle!

Now that I'm done picking on you.......

Take the advice of the others above and reconsider the options. Day to day carry is a PITA and the only time I carry a mid-size revolver for all day, average day, use is in the dead of winter when I have the clothing to match.
Oh sure, there are .357 snubbies out there, but I do not consider them "starter" guns. I've been around the block and I'm no wimp. But the thought of lighting off a full power .357 in an 18 or so ounce package makes me shutter.

The best bet would be for you to find someone with a fair assortment of different types of handguns and try them out. If you don't know anyone like that, join your local club and find one. We're out there, and very willing to help.

Start small and practice till the cows come home. If you do get a .357, practice with 38 spl target loads and work your way up.

Beleive me, I was in your shoes back in college. I just had to have a 44 mag and then I got a .25 acp to boot. Turns out I couldn't have been any stupider as I picked two of the worst starter handguns out there! Of course the fact that I couldn't afford my next beer, let alone 44 magnum ammo to practice with, never entered my young mind. I went years thinking I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a handgun.

Then, in my mid 20s, I got a S&W model 17 - 22 caliber - and lo and behold - turns out I can shoot ok!

Big LSWC's rule
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 04:35 PM

I'd look at a 9mm or .40S&W pistol. lots more varieties to chose from regarding, design, size, features & fit.

If there is a shooting range near you, go and see what they have to rent and do that. I always thought I would want a glock 27 until I actually shot one....

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 05:19 PM
Part of the Community

Nice auto pistols are Smith and Wesson M+Ps and I also like the Walther PPQ. Both are very considerable and offer aspects that are not really found in a revolver such as a higher capacity, very nice triggers, and many types of holsters. They might not fit to the body as well as a revolver but are much more modifiable. Watch some Hickok 45 videos He shoots lots of guns and will probably be able to push you in the right direction. Key is to get a gun You can shoot well and quickly effectively.

"If its brown its going down"

"If it ain't red leave it in the shed"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page