Best scope choice for muzzle loading pistol - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Best scope choice for muzzle loading pistol

Wanted to start this question off with a little back ground of why I chose to pick up an inline pistol. Last year I took out my bow, and inline rifle (CVA Wolf) on a hunt deep in the gamelands I hunt. Since in PA you can carry both bow and muzzle loader during the overlap of the season, for the early antlerless muzzle loader season, I decided to take both. I love archery, to no end but also like to eat deer meat. I decided to get a new inline muzzle loader rifle for hunting with last year to handle the situations where the doe would be out of range for archery equipment. I fell in love with inline shooting last year when I shot my first deer with one. I shot my doe in the morning, tagged her, field dressed her, and then the work began.

I carried out my treestand, book bag, rifle and bow about 1.5-2 miles back to the car. Since I only have a dodge neon I took that gear home and drove back out to the woods to pick up my deer. Got the deer and made it home by 12. The walk in was a bit rough carrying, my climber, book bag, and bow all strapped in. And carrying my rifle across my arms.

I decided there had to be a better way. I picked up this on Tuesday. its a CVA Optima V2 pistol. I will be getting a holster for it soon, so I can just keep it in my pack, or have it over my shoulder.

Here is a pic of both of my inlines together.

This now leads me to try and pick a scope for the new handgun. I really am thinking that a red dot would be perfect for this set up. Or maybe some panoramic type set up.

I don't plan on shooting past 70 yards with it, and feel that the light weigh and easy to find dot would be a good call. What do you all suggest for a scope on a hunting hand gun. I am a bit nervous to pick up a magnifying scope with cross hairs as I think it may be too tough to find when the moment of truth comes. I have never hunted with a handgun so this is all new to me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Best scope choice for muzzle loading pistol

The Bushnell TRS 25 is a good option.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 05:04 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

TRS-25 or the Burris fast fire. Either are great. I own both and have 100% confidence in them. I've had them both on everything from .22 pistols to my .444 Marlin Encore pistol.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 02:53 AM

X2 power burris, luepold, nikon. No batteries to fail. No issues at dawn or dusk. My opinion the red dot is best for fast target acquisition. Years of contenders, encores, xp100, strikers and even a home made omega ml pistol let me say with full confidence that you will find it harder to hold out and fire without a rest. I've used shooting sticks, bi pod and now my bog tripod.

P.S. The monkey really freaks DennyF out
If you stand in front of tanks the tanks are gonna win.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 08:50 PM
Part of the Community

I have a leupy 4x on my 209x50 contender pistol barrel and it works good for me. I like the constant eye relief of the non variable scopes along with the 18" and 20" 2-6 bushnells and 20" 2-8 leupolds. also consider the scope weight also as it is going to make the gun seem pounds heavier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page