Do it all shotgun?! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Do it all shotgun?!

Is there really such a thing? Looking at getting one shotgun that will work fairly well for everything. Thinking of the remington 870 express super mag. 26inch barrel. Mainly used for turkey and clay birds just for fun. Also looked at a mossburg 535 this seemed more like a true turkey gun at 22inch barrel. Bass pro has 870 for 319 after rebate seemed like a great price. Thoughts? Thx

Smallmouth river angler who decided to give this hunting thing a try!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 06:58 PM

Re: Do it all shotgun?!

I have one and any 3 1/2 inch out of the 870 will have a VERY BAD Recoil ,i assume the same thing with any pump ,,i have since bought a 11-87 semi ,,much better using 3 1/2 shells ,something to keep in mind
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 07:20 PM
The Man

I have 535 Turkey and Field combo.
It was a Dicks exclusive and got a great price.
It came with a 22" barrel with xxfull turkey choke and a 28" barrel with 3 chokes. Full, Mod, Impr Cyl.
Great gun for the money.
It's a lightweight gun and totes easily for chassing turkeys.
The only drawback like with any lightweight gun is recoil.
I use 3 1/2 Mag. loads for Turkey and it Kicks like a Mule.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 08:28 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattF19
Is there really such a thing?
No and you should be glad there isn't or you wouldn't have an excuse to buy 3 or 4.

A good quality field gun with choke tubes should suffice until you decide to specialize.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 10:39 PM
JGR

The Remington 870 Express is a great all around gun, I'd say none better. If it lives in Pa you can kill it with the gun, from bear and elk to clays all day. With the twist in chokes you can purt near get it to do everything with one barrel. And if you get the rifled slug barrel your only limitation will ever be range.

And I agree with Dave2 all I ever use are 2 3/4" in mine. No real need for anymore than that unless you like the punishment.

JR
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 12:25 AM
The Man

I have a Mossberg 835 with a camo finish. Came with two barrels a 24" and a 28". The 24" is my go to for turkey and small game, 28" for anything that flys, and I purchased a slug barrel in the same camo finish for my big game needs.

It's actually my backup gun. I have a primary slug gun, turkey shotgun, and waterfowl gun - but it's nice to have this one single universal gun as a backup or loaner.

Don't Tread On Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 09:24 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface
Quote:
No and you should be glad there isn't or you wouldn't have an excuse to buy 3 or 4.

A good quality field gun with choke tubes should suffice until you decide to specialize.
I wouldn't want wife to know that a do it all shotgun exist.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 09:04 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter Co. Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface
Quote:

I wouldn't want wife to know that a do it all shotgun exist.
I wouldn't either.

But the Super X2 and the Super X3 come as close as any I have found. Not sure which I would pick between the pair. Probably the X3 due to lighter weight. But it's about as close to a toss-up as you'll get.

demokraten saugen
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 12:54 PM

i like dogface's reply...

you can "do it all" with one shotgun...but it might not be the BEST option for the task at hand..

as you grow as a hunter and shooter though one shotgun can be all you ever want or need...

as i continue through life i keep wanting more..i still have my first single shot 20 gauge..i still have my first mossberg 500...i havent fired either of them in many years now..but they both knocked the stuffing out of their fair share of critters and busted their fair share of clays..

the biggest thing IMO would be finding one that fits you the best...mossberg and remingtons are both fine pump shotguns...but they both feel very different to me..

i once took my 21" 870 "turkey gun" grouse hunting...why? well..it was flintlock season and we were going to camp..i wanted to predator hunt at night..flintlock hunt during the day..did i NEED to take my "bird gun" to camp just incase i wanted to grouse hunt instead of deer hunt when i was already packing my "turkey gun"? plus my flintlock and my 22-250..i carried the 870 one day...my buddies were laughing...but i was the one to limit out on grouse that day! i actually liked the light short barreled gun for grouse hunting..
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 12:02 AM

Mossberg 500

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page