slug question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

slug question

i have a remington 870 express magum in 20ga with a non rifled slug barrel and was wondering what slugs to use to get the best out of this gun and should i put a scope on it if so would u drill and tap or use a saddle mount?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 07:01 PM

Re: slug question

go buy 3 or 4 different brands of slugs and go to the range. See which patterns the best. What works in one might not be what works in yours. Scope is personal pref. I would put one on but my eyes aren't what they use to be.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
If it's locked up and put away - Your NOT safe!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 07:26 PM

By the time you do all that stuff you would pay at least 1/2 or more the cost of a rifled barrel all set up to mount a scope on it, and just keep the smoothbore for small game.

If you are dead set on the barrel you have, I would try to mount the scope to the barrel instead of the receiver.

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to wv windy ridge

Go by the rifled barrel....with the cantelever scope mount on it...that is your best bet. I have the 870 xpress in the 12 ga. 3" and It loves winchester partition gold slugs. I can group them less than a 1/2 inch apart. Have even put a few through the same hole.

Harvesting imature game removes future trophies. Patience is rewarded.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

seriously, the rifled barrel is the way to go, but in all honesty, i spent 4 years hunting deer with a winchester 1300 using the brass bead and the mod choke throwing $3/box remington punkin balls. get a box and hit the range. see how your gun likes em. you might be surprised. if not the remmy green box, try the brenneke KO slugs. they are pretty wicked too, and about $5 a box.

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 09:36 AM
The Man

You stated it was a non-rifled slug barrel. To me that is a 20-22 inch cylinder bore w/ rifle sights. Those sights that come on Remington slug barrels are good. I like them.

If that is the barrel you have do what others have mentioned, and try out some different loads. Just don't try shooting any sabots. The are for rifled barrels.

There are a few options to scope that gun, and only one of them is a good option. That is the cantilevered slug barrel. Remington shotgun barrels don't mount solid to the reciever.

Venison - The other fast food
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 11:22 AM

My hubby has tried ever known slug made in a smooth bore barrel for hunting in Ohio...after the smoke cleared, the shoulders healed, the pain subsided the clear winner is......FEDERAL 2 3/4 in TRUE-BALL...1 oz slug.. it has a badmitton type wad system that stays on the slug out to about 75 yards..accuracy at 50 yards is around 1 1 1/2 inch..more than enough to drop a whitetail..and they do drop them in their tracks..all those fancy sabots and every other bullet type didn't compare to these..they are not easy to find in PA..you may do some searching..
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you going to get serious about hunting deer with a shotgun get a riffled barrel.
To me using a smoothbore would be like hunting deer with
a 30.06 using iron sights and not mounting a scope on it.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Sage

A Tioga Co. cousin thumped a pile of deer in Steuben Co. NY over the years, with his Win. M120 Ranger 12ga and 24" smooth bore slug barrel w/sights. All he ever used, were the cheap Rem. 2-3/4" 1oz slugs.

Most deer were killed at less than 50 yards, as if often the case when hunting in the woods.

Now that rifles are allowed in that county, he uses his 30-06 to hunt there, but that slug gun always brought home some venison, years ago.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Part of the Community

in my experience hunting in ny(before rifles) and ohio, regular foster type slugs(non sabot)are only accurate to 50 yards. after that they are unpredictable. this experience was with a winchester model 120 smoothbore12 ga with a scope.i bought a rifled choke tube and some 2 3/4" breneke ko sabot shells. my groups at 75 yards were in the 4" range. definatly better than the foster type slugs.took probably half dozen deer with that setup. going to use it in ohio this year

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page