for Deer.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Part of the Community

Re: 357 for Deer

I've used various 158gr. semi-jacketed soft points in the past for similar sized game, but would prefer 180s. The below article doesn't have a specific answer, but it's an interesting article directly related.

Is the .357 Magnum Enough for Deer Hunting?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 12:38 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I too am setting up a .357 for deer hunting, i have a .44 blackhawk hunter but had the regular blackhawk laying around and decided to set it up if i would ever want to try something different.

I have killed deer with both calibers and tend to like something in the 158 grn class for the .357, i have JSP ammo that should do a decent job. With that being said i believe the biggest thing to remember wih the .357 is perfect/near perfect shot placement. Its just as important with the .44 but it does leave slight wiggle room over the .357 in my opinion.

My comfort zone for the .357 is about 50 yds, im not saying that it wont work farther, but this is my self imposed limit, 75 yds is my comfort zone with the .44.

The biggest thing wih handgun hunting for me is practice, you should do lots of it and become as eficient as possible. Buffalo bore makes some great and powerful hunting ammo, could always give them a look see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 01:58 AM

I used a .357 for a couple years before moving on and selling it. What I found worked best for me was hornady leveroulution (or however one might spell that) in 140gr, or a hornady custom in either 158gr or 180gr. One can never go wrong with buffalo bore either though. Just my $.02...and I am no expert by any means
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I don;t want to mount a scope on it, so I will be using iron sights.
My gun is a Ruger GP100 with a 6" barrel.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 07:26 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The GP should work good for you, my blackhawk only has a 4 5/8" barrel, i loose a bit of velocity with the shorter barrel, and also a little sight radious.

I mounted a small tru glo trident red dot on it and am getting 2" groups at 50 yds if i do my part, not olympic worthy shooting but should do fine for deer. I plan on kinda treating it like archery hunting and keeping my shots close.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 11:39 PM

My .357 was a GP100 w/the 4" barrel. I put fire-sights on it and a hogue tamer grip and was fairly accurate out to about 30 yards. With a 6" barrel you should be good to go. Is this going to be a primary weapon for deer?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Won't be my primary weapon, just something I've been wanting to try.
Don't want to chance having a nice Buck being out of handgun range, so I would use it to try to fill a doe tag.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 12:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

http://www.guns.com/2011/11/17/is-th...-deer-hunting/

My first couple handgun deer were taken with the .357 mag. Only one ever took more than one shot and that was due to poor bullet design-zero expansion on 158 gr HP loads where the lead was just so hard, the bullets penciled through the doe I shot. I've taken deer with the .357 from about 8 feet to right around 70 yards. There are a host of good factory rounds available today and if you haven't purchased already I'd say go with a 6" bbl model or even longer if possible to wring out as much umph as you can. If you already own and the bbl is under 6" I'd day keep your shots close-inside 45-50 yards max.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned hunter
The GP should work good for you, my blackhawk only has a 4 5/8" barrel, i loose a bit of velocity with the shorter barrel, and also a little sight radious.

I mounted a small tru glo trident red dot on it and am getting 2" groups at 50 yds if i do my part, not olympic worthy shooting but should do fine for deer. I plan on kinda treating it like archery hunting and keeping my shots close.
I have to start practicing, if I can get a 2" group at 50 yards I'd be more than happy.

Potter County
Gods Country USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page