hornady critical defense - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

hornady critical defense

anyone ever do any testing of the hornady critical defense round??

yesterday i was shooting my 38spcl a bit..shooting the +p load

i was holding my target with a small old Locust log..8" thick or so..

i sent a round into the log from 5yds to see if i could stop it...and recover it..

i shot it did stop it..

i split the log and recovered it..it made it 4-5"..i have no comparison on that..and the log was SOLID and very hard..harder than normal due to a Y branch and tough grain..

but anyways...i wasnt too impressed...the bullet didnt do much of anything...

is it due to hitting something so hard?? is the bullet "smart enough" (designed to) not expand on a hard target to penetrate better?? that is my only guess...?

ive read countless reviews and tests and watched videos and the bullet seems to be a GOOD one..i know my velocity isnt smoking from a 2" snubby..but all the tests show it does its job..

thoughts??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: hornady critical defense

A log isn't a very good media for testing the performance of a self defense round. What I look for is reliability and accuracy. In my opinion any good bullet designed for defense will suffice. The FBI tests are still the gold standard. Also, remember you are shooting a 2" snub revolver and it may not quite meet or exceed the FBI tests. I would feel well armed with your firearm and 5 Hornady Critical Defense rounds.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would feel well armed with your firearm and 5 Hornady Critical Defense rounds.

Matthew 22:37-40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 03:06 PM

For what it's worth, I only use these rounds in my self defense weapons. Reviews are awesome for them, and they're made by hornady. I have yet to find a hornady round that didn't perform or do what they claimed it to. One of my frequent carry pieces is also a .38spl S&W j-frame snubbie.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

I know a locust log is a poor choice of media...but it was handy...and made a nice target for a round..

I truly believe that is the design of the bullet and it performed as it should have... Hard target caves in the nose to aid penetration where it would expand in a soft target..

I will try to remember some water jugs next time..I am a bullet junky and will dig out any bullet I can just because I wanna know...

I've tested other rounds in deer parts not fit for consumption and such and always see what the reviews show..gold dots..winchester ranger..federal HTC I think it is..hydrashocks..

Pretty hard to go wrong with any of the major brands IMO...

I feel just fine with my snubby as a back up gun...hit what I point at and 5 rounds of the hornadys is bad news for whatever is on the down range side..

I also noticed the shock of the bullet in the log compared to the lead round nosed I shot into it...it had a defined shock wave..probably when the nose started crushing and the bullet wanted to keep going...

2-3 weeks I plan to shoot again..will try to capture a few more bullets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page