Shotgun barrel length doesn't effect range and - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Shotgun barrel length doesn't effect range and

accuracy? Or at least that's what I have heard. I find that hard to believe. Does anyone wish to collaborate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 11:10 PM
Banned

Re: Shotgun barrel length doesn't effect range and

The legnth of a shotgun barrel has little to do with accuracy Before plastic shot cups the legnth of a barrel had some affect on the pattern because the longer the barrel and the tighter the choke the shot was kept tighter in the pattern. With todays modern ammo, it makes little or no difference with the legnth of the barrel except for a smother swing with a longer barrel. With the plastic shot cup wad you are shooting a choke size tighter than what the barrel choke is.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I am going to have to experiment now. I think I would prefer a longer barrel anyway just because of the feel and look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 03:49 AM

John is right on...back "in the day" longer barrels had their place...for the choke and even velocity...

there are rules of thumb for velocity..you still loose some..forget what it is off the top of my head...but with todays loads and powders its not really worth thinking about unless your shooting turkeys or predators or ducks and geese at extreme ranges...even then with todays loads, chokes and heavier than lead shot its a toss IMO..

my turkey/predator gun has a 21" barrel and i LOVE it..easy to carry and maneuver and i dont need longer..with the chokes and hevi shot i can hammer whatever needs hammered..as far as id wanna shoot a shotgun...

i still bird hunt with a longer barrel...wing shooting i like a long barrel...though ive carried the 21" barrel for a season just to see and still hammered grouse..but thats not really wing shooting like shooting crossing doves etc..

i have a winchester m50 has a 30" full choked barrel...the pattern it throws is pretty amazing..need to find a IC or Mod barrel for it so i dont have to shoot spreader loads for bird hunting...

depends on the intended use on which route to go for ME...my choice is multiple shotguns...i just love guns..and can never have too many!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 02:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have 2 11-87 sps-t guns with 21" barrels. Both pattern very well. I have killed a lot of paper with both. And both will put 200 in a 10" at 40 with hevi #6.

Don't Gobble at me...
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 12:40 AM

Accuracy as in tightness of shot pattern? So a judge with it's 5 inch barrel will hold a group as tight as a 28 inch 410 barrel??? Sounds like it belongs in the fiction part of the library. I can see that whether a barrel is 26 or 32 inches long may make only a small difference. But no difference?

I am going to keep using my Ivers Johnson Champion with the 32 inch full choke barrel.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 12:58 AM
Banned

A judge wouldn't be worth 2 cents whether it had a 6 inch barrel or a 40 inch barrel, it is not a shotgun and it is a novelty. The question was about shotguns, real shotguns.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I don't have a great deal of experience with shotguns. I am just gonna try for myself. I meant pattern by accuracy.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I do agree to an extent that in todays newer shotguns, you can get them all to shoot great patterns. I have spent ALOT of time patterning various shotgun, choke tubes, shells, and have found that most are just like shooting a rifle, different shells, tubes ect, will make a difference, if tou can find what combo they like you will see a difference.

Just for the record, i have found that i have spent more time on a few short barreled (21inch) turkey guns to find a winning combo, than i have those wih more of a conventional length barrel.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 08:39 PM
The Man

Like John S said the length of the barrel has little to do with patterns.
Some guys prefer the longer barrel because it give
a longer sight plain.
I remember the Marlin goose gun, I believe it had a 36" barrel.
I was always under the impression the long barrel
was made to reach out farther.
But that's not the case.

Potter County
Gods Country USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page