.38 problem - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

.38 problem

hi,
My pops .38 jammed while i was shooting it. I was shooting hot loads, and this never happend befor. I was wondering if this ever happend to anyone eles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: .38 problem

If it's a 38 Special revolver then perhaps with your hot loads (whatever hot might mean) you had some primer flowback into the firing pin hole which would cause the cylinder to seize up. Would have to see the brass and primer to be certain. Just a guess.

Muab Dib

"There is no District 12"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 12:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

what kind of gun is it? I have a S&W model 36 that has never jammed. However, my taurus has failed to fire on one occassion when rapid firing. The cylinder failed to spin.

For those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They will soar on wings as eagles..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 01:47 AM
Frequent Contributor

It is most likely an ammo issue, or a need to be cleaned issue. if "hot" means high pressure hand loads I hope your gun is a .38+P rated gun. if you are loading above .38 spl specs and have been doing it for a while your gun may be toast.

"The only senseless killing, would be the killing of me"
-Matthew Zerby
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 02:00 AM

Look at the primers, if they appear to be flattened out at the edges then your load is way too hot. If they are blowing out of the cases then you have a head space problem as well as a load that is too hot. There is NEVER a reason to shoot max loads out of anything. It may give you more velocity but it kills accuracy and causes premature failures like this!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 02:21 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman76
. There is NEVER a reason to shoot max loads out of anything. It may give you more velocity but it kills accuracy and causes premature failures like this!
I agree and would add it hurts too!

"The only senseless killing, would be the killing of me"
-Matthew Zerby
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Well, I would respectfully disagree as to "max"/hot loads depending on how one looks at it. I shoot an over "max" load by most modern manuels in my Kimber 84 222 Rem. I ream the neck ID and neck size only and I'm back up there with a max load of the 1950's. With 21.0 gr. IMR 4198, a Rem 7 1/2 primer, and a 50 gr. spitzer I get 3350 fps on a hot summer afternoon. Accuracy is 1/2 Moa or better at 100 yds. No signs of pressure and I've yet to lose a case. It all depends on the firearm, the chamber, and the components used. The key is to work up low and discover what is a max load in your particular rifle/revolver and then back off a bit. I will agree that to just put together a "max"/hot load in a firearm and cut loose is not only foolhardy but down right foolish. Right now I'm pushing 2.0 gr. over book max with a particular powder and bullet in a Marlin 336 30/30 and have yet to reach a max in this particular rifle. I'm close but not there yet. When I get there, I'll back off a bit and have a dandy load for deer. So... hot loads aren't necessarily hot depending on the firearm used and the method used in working up the load. Just food for thought.

Muab Dib

"There is no District 12"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think you are playing with fire Muab.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 09:34 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflktrman
I think you are playing with fire Muab.
Disagree....every rifle is a law unto itself....Been at it for almost fifty years myself and learned to pay attention...handloading demands patience and common sense and sound techniques, all of which enable a person to safely optimize the overall performance of his rifle...

I've loaded 20.5-21 of 4198 in the .222 with 50-52 gr. bullets for years....seated off the lands in cases of proper length, it's a perfectly safe load....my rifles won't do 3350 with it though....
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Frequent Contributor

Deer hunter I think you need to be a little more specific on the failure. And ammo used. Reloads or factory +p. As said above. To much pressure will cause the primer to flow back into the firing pin. Or under heavy recoil if the bullets were not crimped. They will move forward and jam the cylinder. All is speculation with the small amount of information provided. As to the hot loads. I also believe, with years of experience, It can be safe. How ever. Only you know how much you have. When I was younger I played around with pushing the Envelope. How ever now I stay with in listed loads. There are more reasons to stay with mid range loads than to test your limits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page