Remington VersaMax - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Remington VersaMax

Looking for feed back from any Remington VersaMax owners. The good, the bad and the ugly. Since I'm left handed and this is one of only a few semi-auto options I'm considering it.
Mainly looking for mechnical issues (cosmetic issues don't really matter to me).

Any first hand informaton would be appreciaed. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 05:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Remington VersaMax

I have a VersaMax that I use for 3-gun. Mine runs flawlessly and as far as I know so does everyone else's that I know or shoot with. It's not hunting but in 3-gun practice and match's they get run hard a thrown around way more then in a hunting situation.
The one guy I shoot with has remington as one of his sponsors and he has already shot barrels out. The only trouble I have ever heard from him is one of his had occasional feed issues. The front of the shell would sometimes catch the sharp edge of the barrel when coming up to feed. He said it was a very quick fix by just smoothing the edge.

"Now that you brought that up hang onto your paddle, and if ya hit any rocks don't hit em with ya head" Lewis
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback tracker. Sounds like you would definitely put more rounds through yours in a year than a typical hunter would in a few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 12:02 AM

Were do you shoot?? 3 gun matches.. There is none around my area that I know of?????
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 01:42 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Your welcome.

Bluesberry,
Local to me is Topton R&G club, it's near Kutztown. There are also matches down near York.

"Now that you brought that up hang onto your paddle, and if ya hit any rocks don't hit em with ya head" Lewis
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 05:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

djk, I switched to the versa from the 11-87 3 seasons ago, love it!!! Havent had one problem, from spring turkey in NY and PA, to waterfowling all season, NY, NJ, PA, and MD. Salt and Fresh. Also sporting clays to hunting, never had a problem, no jams(knock on wood) with 2 3/4 to 3 1/2, but I shoot very few 3 1/2's

I think you will be satisfied
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback Don & everyone. If I can swing it financially I might have one for next season.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not saying it's any better a gun than the high end benelli or beretta's, but since I have been 15, I been shooting a remington, they just feel right to me. I had a extremma when they first came out, and all the game was "safe" , I just couldn't shoot it well. It felt great, worked fine, It just wasn't for me. The 870, 11-87, and versa, just feels right on my shoulder, and stuff falls when I shoot.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

I currently have a lefty SBE and short of a few Benelli "clicks" I really haven't had any issues with it. I'm just wanting something a little less punishing on my shoulder (bone spurrs lol stinks getting old) so I thought a gas system might help. But you're right if it doesn't feel right to me that will make my decision to stay with what I have a lot easier.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 02:55 PM
The Man

My crow hunting buddy bought one last year. It was a total piece of junk.
Bolt handle fell out and lost first day, extractor broke second day. Remington sent new parts. Next time out the op rod that is attached to the rear of the bolt snapped in half.
It also dropped live rounds on the ground, and stove piped.
Remington took the gun back, and wound up giving him a brand new one.
In the interim while Remington had his in their shop, he bought a new A-400 like mine. Neither of the A-4'S have skipped a beat.
I do believe that he simply got a flawed gun the first time around, but he lost all confidence in the versa max.
The brand new one Remington gave him still sets in the box, never fired, and it is for sale.

On the upside, he did say the recoil was way smaller with the Remington as opposed to the Benelli SBE II's we used to shoot, and slightly less than the Berettas.

Your never to old to learn something stupid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page