Montgomery County - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Montgomery County

Hi my name is Kaitlyn, I have been hunting for a few years I am married and hunt mostly with my husband and "the guys", I am looking for other women who share this hobby with me that maybe would want to hunt eventually. Any tips?(Montgomery County, PA)

Couples that hunt together, Stay together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 09:32 PM

Re: Montgomery County

Hi Kaitlyn... Welcome to HPA!

I'm in Fayette Co so I'm not close but if I were, I would love to hunt with you.

Hope you enjoy HPA.

Uh Oh! Janie's got her gun!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Well thank you, too bad you are not closer I have been looking for other female hunters to go out with so hopefully some more women see this post and are willing, I have a few spots I like to hunt at on private land I have permission to hunt it a deer highway there!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 09:40 PM

It's great you have private property to hunt! I have permission on private too. It was a little iffy for 2013 but all worked out well. Hopefully you'll find a gal to hunt with.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 02:11 AM
Frequent Contributor

Hi, I'm in Philly, so a little closer to you but I am a novice (only one squirrel so far). I have permission to hunt family property in Chester County but it's too small for safety zones for firearms and I am not proficient with the bow (yet) - it's a nice thing to have. I find it hard to find women to hunt with, too, and would be happy to see about meeting up if you wouldn't mind a relatively inexperienced hunter. Do you go out for Red Tag or were you thinking next year?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 02:14 AM
Frequent Contributor

And, as a tip, you might think about going to a Women in the Outdoors event or volunteering at one to meet up with other women who hunt. http://www.womenintheoutdoors.org
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I thinking for next year, I dont do the red tag program. I hunt with my bow for majority of the time, I wouldnt mind meeting up with you sometime and maybe we can shoot our bows a little, if you live in west philly youre about 40 mins from where i live

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 03:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Fitz
I thinking for next year, I dont do the red tag program. I hunt with my bow for majority of the time, I wouldnt mind meeting up with you sometime and maybe we can shoot our bows a little, if you live in west philly youre about 40 mins from where i live
I'm in West Philly but we are often up at our archery club near Pottstown. We hunted French Creek and nearby areas over Christmas break. I actually hunt with a 12 gauge and a 20 gauge shotgun (deer and squirrel). I am actively looking for a used bow right now, though. We joined an archery club before we had bows because we are a little backwards like that . Knowing we have permission to hunt archery-only family property makes it more of a priority this year. I signed up for the Bowhunting course with the PGC. That's my deadline for getting a bow (September).
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyFam
That's my deadline for getting a bow (September).
WPF~ If your deadline for getting a bow is September of 2014, I would strongly encourage you to hold off on hunting with the bow until Fall Archery 2015 so you can practice a lot with it before heading out into the field. If you can aquire a bow in lets say March of 2014, and practice every day, that's a little different. You could very well be ready for Fall Archery 2014.

Practice is very important. In that, we learn form and shot placement with practice. A bow takes a lot more effort than pulling out the rifle and/or shot gun, looking down the scope or open sight, aiming and squeezing the trigger. Practice is the #1 goal when bow hunting. You can never get too much of it. But too little and it can be a disaster if a deer presents itself to an inexperienced *bow* hunter.

So practice, practice, practice and you will get there! Good Luck and I hope you find a bow that you like!

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I agree with Janie. Definitely not trying to sound like were being negative but inexperience with a bow while hunting deer is not a good combo. Ive seen some bad shots on deer and then the meat is spoiled or you have to track for hours sometimes days because they keep running. Needless to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE my bow I pick that over any gun any day!!! I have the bow tech diamond infinite edge was not too pricey and very light I love it!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page