2 Daughters... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

2 Daughters...

So, I have a question for you ladies out there. I have a 20 month old daughter and just found out this morning I am going to be having a second daughter in April. :-) I am quite excited! My wife and I have decided to only have two children, so it looks like I will not be having any boys...

Anyways, I am writing to get advice on the future hunting/fishing with my girls. I love hunting and fishing and really want to pass that love to my girls. Traditionally fishing and especially hunting have been men sports, but in recent years has spread to the ladies as well. I want to know what got you ladies into hunting and fishing and what can I do as a dad to help spark my daughters' interests in hunting and fishing as well. I don't want to turn my girls into Tom Boys if that is what they are. I just want to give them a chance to enjoy hunting and fishing with their dad without it feeling forced to them.

My wife goes fishing with me, but it isn't her passion and she doesn't go hunting with me but isn't against our daughters hunting or fishing...

Thanks for any and all advice given!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 04:38 PM

Re: 2 Daughters...

I'm not one of the ladies ,but check in often, since I teach women in the outdoors, women on target & have 2 daughters. They both hunt, fish & go camping. If it's your passion They will at least try to see if they want to do it just to spend time with Dad. Just don't force them or they will hate doing it.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I am all ears for dad's out there who were in the same shoes I am... Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 10:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

I don't know if this will help you because everything developed for us in reverse - the kids got us in to hunting. My oldest developed her interest in the outdoors by attending nature camps and just plain being outdoors a lot. We live in the city, but there were still lots of opportunities since everyone wants to introduce city kids to critters and flora.

I remember one incident really clearly where it all started to crystallize. We were on a camping trip where we were walking on trail like good hikers and not letting the girls wander. The girls (we have three of them) were all clearly wanting a larger purpose for our hike and to go off trail in the worst way. I think that was the trip where the seed got planted that kids don't really want to walk around the woods just for the sake of it. They appreciate a sense of purpose in what they do, have a natural interest in living from the bounty of the land and it will kill their spirit of exploration if they are taught that nature is only for looking, not touching. Soon after, my oldest brought up hunting as an interest after learning about deer overpopulation at camp and we just went with it as a family activity. I think you can do everything possible and kids will develop their own ways and interests but there are some key things that might help. I think getting them outdoors in an unstructured and unhurried way as much as possible will make a big difference, even as toddlers. As for it being harder for girls, I don't think there are really barriers to girls getting involved and there are plenty of role models like RayRay who embrace teaching girls just as much as boys. Girl Scouts vs. Boy Scouts is a barrier, but you can get around that. Boy Scouts is much friendlier to hunting. Otherwise, it won't be weird at all.

We're going out with my oldest for squirrel next weekend and then a bigger trip later in the winter with all of them. None of them are old enough for licenses yet and not ready for mentored youth, but they can observe. The younger ones are not going in for below freezing in the tent and that's OK - they can stay with Grandmom. They can come when we're in the heated cabin. We just try to keep it loose and not push...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 10:28 AM

Some thing to think about when they are older. Dress them warm. If you are wearing 3 layers, make sure they have 4-5 with them. Carry extra clothes for them in you pack. If they are cold they will hate being there.

Girls are easier to teach to shoot. No preconceived notions on how to do it & no macho "I know how, I'm a boy". They will learn the right way , instead of having to relearn the right way.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 04:04 PM

Congrats, we went three girls, one boy and have one on the way that's yet to be determined.

Don't drag them out if they don't want to go on a particular instance and don't drag out leaving when they're ready to go.

Oldest two years ago, age 9:

Second oldest, this year, age 9 (she was 2 minutes of daylight short of shooting a doe last year):

If guns cause crime, mine must be broken.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

My daughter is now 19 and a sophomore at PSU. At a very early age (probably 4 YO) I started asking her if she wanted to tag along on some of my hunting and fishing trips. I made sure we only stayed as long as she wanted. I spent most of my time teaching her everything I could during our trips. She was a great student and was eager to learn. Over time she became more and more patient. More so than most men I know. She always wanted to go preseason scouting and was a great help hanging and moving my archery stands. She grew to love it. Whenever I would take a deer I made sure to run home first to get her to help me trail it. Even if it fell within sight. She has better eyes than me a can see blood much better than I.

Unfortunately she did not get to take advantage of the Mentor Program. She turned 12 the first year it was in effect. She is still mad about that. In my opinion the Mentor Program is one of the best changes I have seen in modern day hunting. I like the fact that I can control when I feel my child is ready to hunt. I do have a son who participated in this program.

I guess if I have any advice it would be to give her as much outdoor stuff as she is willing to take without pushing any more on her. They still needed to be a little girls too.

Teaching your daughters about the outdoors will certainly cost you some deer, turkeys and fish of your own but that's a small price to pay.

Here are a couple of photos of my little girl when she was 16. She was lucky enough to complete the Triple Trophy. A very proud moment for me.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for the feed back. It really gets me excited to get my girl's outdoors and hunting/fishing!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 09:10 AM

My brother takes his 6 year old every time he goes out. He doesn't get to hunt much with her in tow (bow) but he does it for her because she loves to watch the little critters run around. He's had her out squirrel hunting too. She saw a doe last day on Saturday and she said, Daddy... there's your deer. He looked and laughed because he never saw it but it was out of bow range.

At the beginning of the school year, her teacher asked the class, What's your favorite Season, Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter? She said HUNTING SEASON! lol

I didn't get into hunting up until 4 years ago. My Dad never asked me to go and my Mother said it wasn't for girls. It was something that on my bucket list that I wanted to try and I love it. I shouldn't admit this but if anyone interferes with my time in the woods, it is not pretty! I get like my dad would when Mother would interfere and that wasn't pretty so I get it honestly!

I do have great memories of fishing with my dad as a little girl every weekend. What I wouldn't do to go back in time and spend a Saturday with him and a pole, hooking worms. *ahhhhhh... the memories*

Uh Oh! Janie's got her gun!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 10:01 PM
The Man

I don,t know with kids today with all of the electronic junk and what have you if you can really direct them.You have to wait and see what their personality and character they have.My oldest daughter is a majorette and would never even touch a worm let alone go fishin or huntin.My youngest daughter is a natural Tom boy and plays softball,basketball and loves to fish.She loves Archery and wants to be a Vet and loves animals and would enjoy huntin but wouldnm,t want to shoot any animal.I,m fine with that.It,s inside of them how they are gonna be.You can tailor them and groom them but my oldest daughter won,t even eat deer but the youngest will scarf it up.Nothing could ever turn my oldest into a sportsman but my youngest is already one.You,ll just have to wait and see how they mature.I,ll tell you this though,it won,t take long before you,ll see the direction they,ll take.Foe ex.my oldest when she was young dressed up,had dolls,loved pink.While the youngest wrestled with the dogs,wanted to be in the barn with the cows and calves,play baseball with my son,ride tractors,etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page