Women Becoming Driving Force... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Women Becoming Driving Force...

http://southdakotahunting.com/article/wo...mber-of-hunters

Cori Engelhardt of Spearfish had a story to share recently that fellow hunter Maggie Speirs could well relate to. Each is an experienced and accomplished elk hunter with numerous animals taken through the years. Coriís latest archery bull was taken in the Black Hills with husband and hunting partner Dave. It was the second elk to fall to Coriís bow in the last two years. As she told Speirs, ĒI hit last yearís cow through both lungs and the shot put the animal down in 20 yards. This yearís bull dropped in his tracks.Ē A spine shot will do that.

It's the sort of conversation between two women that might have been rare years ago but is becoming more and more common as more and more women take up hunting. In fact. the rising tide of female hunters has become large enough that it is sending ripple effects throughout the firearms and hunting industry.

Twenty years ago female hunters might have been relegated to the boys section in the hunting wear department and asked to settle for equipment that was oversized and designed for men or find a limited selection in youth models. Today manufacturers and outdoor retailers are targeting the ladies market.

Women are the fastest growing segment of the outdoors and hunting population with 50 percent growth over the last 10 years. Over the last five years, NRA-trained female firearms instructors increased by 84 percent to nearly 8,000. Two states, Idaho and Alaska, have female hunting populations that near 20 percent of all hunters in the field. Women are such a powerful driving force in hunting that the number of hunters is actually expanding for the first time in generations. Economist Jerry Leonard noted in the 2006 U.S. National Survey of Fishing, Hunting, and Wildlife that a child was nine times more likely to hunt if his or her father hunted several days a year. If a childís mother was a hunter, the likelihood that he or she would carry on the tradition was exponentially higher. The survey also highlights a change in attitude that men are experiencing when hunting afield with female partners.

Dave Engelhardt has been taking daughters Olivia and Kenlee hunting with him since before they could walk. Cori fondly describes the look in her husbandís eyes when he tells the story of bugling for elk as an infant daughter looked up in awe from the carrier strapped to his chest. Men who hunt with their daughters do more to guarantee the future success of wildlife and wild places than those who reserve the gun and bow for their sons.

Coriís bull may well be the largest archery elk taken by a female South Dakota hunter in years. The six by six antlers will easily place it in the stateís Pope and Young record books after it goes through the 60-day mandatory drying period. It was the immense body size that left the strongest impression for the Engelhardt hunting team. The pack horses that eventually carried the load out of the forest were burdened by the weight of an estimated 900-pound bull. The cool wet summer has left lush meadows and abundant forage for wildlife and trail cam photos of this seasonís elk herds show healthy animals bulging with body fat. The abundant water has also dispersed the herd in small groups in many areas rather than having concentrations as occurs when moisture is in short supply.

Coriís bull came after three quiet days of fruitless pursuit when they didnít hear or see a bull in areas that they normally frequent. Husband Dave held back and cow called first a young rag horn bull within range, but when Cori saw the herd bull making his way in her direction she held her shot for the largest bull of her career. - See more at: http://southdakotahunting.com/article/wo...h.cUiLafsu.dpuf

Uh Oh! Janie's got her gun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Re: Women Becoming Driving Force...

I added paragraphs to make it easier on the eyes.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 10:00 AM
The Man

...I think it's great! I see a fair amount of women out hunting in all seasons. Welcome is all I can say!!

I let a young lady unload a muzzleloader after a day of small game hunting. I saw her father a couple months later and he said he ended up buying her one! Sometimes that's all there is to it...exposure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Sage

I was always a great admirer of Shirley Grenoble........
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Maple
...I think it's great! I see a fair amount of women out hunting in all seasons. Welcome is all I can say!!

I let a young lady unload a muzzleloader after a day of small game hunting. I saw her father a couple months later and he said he ended up buying her one! Sometimes that's all there is to it...exposure.
So true. This is why I enjoy teaching at WOT, WITO & our youth field day. They get exposed to the outdoors & shooting. Sometimes that is all it takes to add someone to the hunting lifestyle.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Maple

So true. This is why I enjoy teaching at WOT, WITO & our youth field day. They get exposed to the outdoors & shooting. Sometimes that is all it takes to add someone to the hunting lifestyle.
It's very much appreciated. I must say I have experienced very few men who were condescending and patronizing, too, at these events which is not always the case when women start in on traditionally male activities. It happens, but it's very rare.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 06:42 PM

Both my daughters shot doe during the youth hunt. My youngest daughter shot her doe at 208 yards & my oldest shot her doe at 298 yards. We sit on the gas line & put a tree stand for them to use for a bench rest. All the time practicing paid off as they both had heart shots.
Just had to say how proud of them I am & trying to keep adding to the growth of females to the outdoors.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay
Both my daughters shot doe during the youth hunt. My youngest daughter shot her doe at 208 yards & my oldest shot her doe at 298 yards. We sit on the gas line & put a tree stand for them to use for a bench rest. All the time practicing paid off as they both had heart shots.
Just had to say how proud of them I am & trying to keep adding to the growth of females to the outdoors.
Congrats to your girls! I bet they were tickled pink! lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page