Shooting sticks?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Shooting sticks??

I am getting ready to leave for Colorado this weekend with a bull elk tag in hand. I am using an inline muzzleloader and they don't allow scopes so I've been practicing for weeks with open sites but have been getting very frustrated. At 50 yards I am not hitting a consistent group. I'm hitting an 8" paper plate but...all over the place. I am SOOO FRUSTRATED! and my husband doesn't understand!!! LOL Would a shooting stick be worth the purchase? Are there types/brands you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Shooting sticks??

Yes they would. Check out the cabelas site. Plenty of types and you can read the reviews. I have the ones that can be either bipod or tripod. Have used them for deer, moose and caribou. Don't leave home without them.

TAKE UM
~ >*{{{><{ )*{{{{{><{

DONUTS - IS THERE ANYTHING THEY CAN'T DO - H. SIMPSON
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 01:57 AM
Part of the Community

Hey, Fishymom... Whats wrong with an 8" group at 50 yards if thats all the farther your shooting freehand I'm guessing ? An elk is a very big animal with probably a 12" or larger kill zone. Freehand is really not a real good shooting position anyhow in the real world, especially when your excited in a hunting situation. Bipods/Tripods are great for sitting positions but are not great for standing, but are better than freehand. Since your going out west and the terrain is pretty open and you will probably be spot and stalking why not lay down and shoot off a backpack ? This is much more steady than any other position. Just believe in yourself and practice your trigger pull... Good Luck Girl you will have a great time I'm sure...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 03:36 AM

see if it says no magification ie red dot might be alowed to be used. hopefully lol.. and if not go buy an encore

but shooting sticks are the cats meow i got the stonie point shooting sticks and safie sticks and ther hiking combo set .. i dont leave home with out one or the other depending on what im usen and going after
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Doc thanks for the vote of confidence... I put too much pressure on myself and think too much During practice my husband shot from the prone position and judging from HIS reaction I decided I wasn't going to attempt that unless absolutely necessary I also know I will feel no pain if I'm staring down a bull LOL I am throwing all my anxieties up to the hunting gods!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page