Another equipment question - rifle buying - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Another equipment question - rifle buying

I thank everyone for all of the great advice about hunting equipment but I have another question. When you buy a long gun (shotgun or rifle) for the first time, what are the licensing requirements? We are in Philadelphia, so I understand they might be a little different. I've tried reading through the regulations and I'm getting confused about what we need and how long the process takes. Scenario is we go to a Dick's or Cabela's type place (or local shop) and we want to buy a rifle just to be used for hunting. What do we need to have with us, and what can we expect? We would just be keeping it locked up and only transporting it in the car when going hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 10:14 PM

Re: Another equipment question - rifle buying

ids, photo ids, ss cards, im not sure but proof of residence
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Is there a wait for the license to have it, though? I read 45 days? I'm understanding there is the Sportsman's License and then the License to Carry a Firearm. Are they different processes? I'm reading 45 day wait for a license - is that for rifles, too, or just handguns? The reason I'm trying to figure it out is I'd like to sign my husband up for an Appleseed class (marksmanship)and the rifle is required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Should be no waiting period for a long gun. The sportsman permit and license to carry a firearm are for a pistol.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sportsman permit and license to carry a firearm (LTCF) apply only to carrying and not "purchasing", and only for a handgun.

For purchase you need photo id, fill out paperwork attesting to your eligibility to own a weapon in Pa (mental illness, drug use, domestic violence, felony, etc), and then a Pa instant check (PICS) is run to confirm. If all is well you pay and walk out with the gun.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 01:15 PM
New Arrival

There can be a wait and it can be long. I went into our local sportsman store to buy a 22 long rifle and that was 2 weeks ago. Still no word from the government about approval. The store was told that there's a backlog right now. I guess a lot of people are buying rifles now because of the upcoming deer rifle season. We were hoping to go in and buy the 22 so we can take our boys out for youth squirrel and rabbit season. Well, that's past and today starts the regular season, still no gun. They originally told us it would take 20 mins. Then they said that the government does have 15 days to get back. And this is my first purchase of a gun, that may be part of the hold up. Maybe you will be lucky, but don't be surprised if you have to wait a while.

PaTenPointGrl

Ten Point Stealth XLT
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/ser...s=L2&mode=2

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Oh, I wondered what happened with yours, that stinks. We ended up at French Creek outfitters today "to look" and we ended up buying a used .22 rifle for hubby and a used shotgun for me - the check took about ten minutes and they were SO helpful. Mine was very quick, the salesman said, since I still lived in the place I was born (PA) and my husband's took a little longer (like, a minute longer) because he was born in Massachusetts. Anyway, we now have our squirrel guns - so excited! Now we need to start practicing! I hope they figure yours out. Maybe it's dependent on how many other people in your area are applying?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 01:58 PM
New Arrival

I have no idea. We did live in Arizona for a while. Maybe that's why. Glad you were able to get yours. Have fun and good luck!!

PaTenPointGrl

Ten Point Stealth XLT
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I bet it's for that reason. Our legal residence as adults has always been PA since my husband went to college here. I lived overseas for five years, but I don't think that would show up?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page