Hunting Alone? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Hunting Alone?

Do you ladies hunt alone or always go with someone? I don't work, but my husband does. My boys are in school all day. I have a lot of time to go out on my own, but I've been afraid. Maybe some reassurance is what I need.

PaTenPointGrl

Ten Point Stealth XLT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 04:04 AM

Re: Hunting Alone?

I hunt alone in Archery Season. I'm getting ready to hang a stand on private property in Green Co on Thursday and make the trip down once a week for an all day hunt on my own til archery lets out. It takes a good 45 minutes to get there so I'll stay all day to make it count.

I've been hunting that property for 3 years now and I know where I like to go so that doesn't get me nervous. I won't venture unless I'm with my brother and his buddy who own it. We usually take long walks through nasty stuff to get the deer up and running during rifle season. A few times of doing that and you get to know the place pretty quickly.

Sometimes, I get nervous and say what if but I ALWAYS tell my husband and brother where I'm going and you should too! It is very important that you have a plan in place just in case. I hope my biggest obstical to overcome will be trying to figure out how in the world I will get a BIG BUCK in my truck by myself!

Uh Oh! Janie's got her gun!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Regular Visitor

I don't think I'd say that I've hunted completely alone, or at least I don't feel alone. There has always been someone somewhere around. At my boyfriends place, when I'm in the tree, there might be someone at the house or he is just down the road hunting. I have my phone on me and I have my pistol. There is always someone that knows where I am and would come looking for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

I hunt my friends farm by myself . but i hunt with my husband and my cousin and our friends . I to carry my pistol also . When my father inlaw was alive he gave me a whistle to wear around my kneck this was 25 yrs ago . i still have the whistle and I wear it all the time in hunting season . he said a whistle sound will carry futher that yelling .
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I may try to go out. We are members of a local sportsman club and we can hunt the property. Its really close to where we live. I have been taking at least one of my boys with me, but i find that I'm more stressed because i have to worry about them too. Since i haven't been able to harvest a deer yet, i may have to go it alone. And if im successful, i can drive home for help.

PaTenPointGrl

Ten Point Stealth XLT
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Regular Visitor

Are your boys young?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

My boys are 15 and 12. My husband took a few days off of work so we could go out. Yesterday evening he went into the woods and i sat in another spot by the tree line. He came out of the woods an hr later and sat along the tree line too. About a half hr later a beautiful doe came up the hill. I had to guess the distance, took a shot and totally missed. I don't even know how because we checked the distance later and i was spot on at 40 yards. I knew i missed because the doe leaped, the trotted off and doubled back around as my husband and i stepped out of the brush. She stared straight at us and the leaped away. I'm so confused about what went wrong. We are hoping to get another chance today.

PaTenPointGrl

Ten Point Stealth XLT
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Forgot to mention that i am a good shot. When i practice my groups are tight.

PaTenPointGrl

Ten Point Stealth XLT
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Regular Visitor

I guess I'd worry about them too. Are you or your husband always with one of them when they go hunting?

I wouldn't think too much about what went wrong. If you practise and get good groupings at 40yrds, then maybe there was a fluke. A last second flinch, gust of wind, she dodged it, etc...

I actually just had my first miss/shot last Friday. I know what went wrong. I got to my boyfriends right after work. Changed and ran to the stand. I'm there for 5 mins and here she comes. Maybe about 10yrds away, if that. Walking broadside of me to the right. I raised my bow, got her to stop, and shot. I think it went under her. I should not have taken that shot. I was shaking so bad. Lol First time I ever shot an arrow at a deer and I forget rule number 1. Patience, steadiness. At least that's out of my system now. She didn't even run. I had to have my boyfriends brother bring me another arrow (yeah I went in with only one). She was still there when he gave it to me but left when he did. 20mins later, she comes back. I had a perfect shot again. This time the shaking was gone, but when I pulled back, my release wasn't set good and boing went my arrow. Haha Of course she came back again awhile later, but with 4 friends and with so many eyes so close, I couldn't move to make a shot.
The next day I was in a different spot and I was told a trick. I was hunting at the edge of a field so figuring out where in the 60yrd width field the deer is, would be hard without checking. So you grab a big rock of log and stick it out there and range it. That way when you got a deer in site, but can't range it without being seen, you look at where it is in relation to the object you already ranged. It seemed so simple to me, but it was awesome. I knew right where I needed the deer to be for my comfort zone.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks, HoneyDoe. Yes, we are always with our boys. We never let them go off alone.
I used your advice yesterday about the rock. Would have worked great if we saw some action. Unfortunately, we were at our club hunting and a bunch of people were practice shooting their rifles. And when they left a man across the road was mowing his yard with a super loud mower. Usually after the noise, the deer will come out shortly, but yesterday everyone was there too late. [censored] sitting for so long and seeing nothing.

PaTenPointGrl

Ten Point Stealth XLT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page