Roll Call for the Ladies - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Roll Call for the Ladies

Who is here? Who is just reading or ghosting?

I'd like to take this time and ask the ladies who are not members to make an account and join in the conversations on the Women's Forum and HPA.

Lets share our experiences while out in the feild. What is/are your favorite weapons? Your most favorite game hunted in the Pennsylvania woods or else where? Who do you like to hunt with or do you prefer to hunt alone?

C'mon Ladies... lets hear it or in this case, read about it!

Uh Oh! Janie's got her gun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Re: Roll Call for the Ladies

Since I'm here, I'll start.

My Favorite weapon is by far my BowTech Diamond Razor Edge. I feel most comfortable with it. If I had to chose, I would shoot my bow over my rifle any day. I like my rifle but I don't feel like I'm as accurate with it because it's a lot heavier than my bow. I do love rifle season though so don't get me wrong, I'll probably look into shooting sticks to help me keep my 270 steadier while trying to reach out and touch those deer.

My all time favorite game is chasing the white tail deer. It's hard and they are so smart, and when I fool one, it feels like a huge success. Now when I talk about fooling one, I'm not talking about harvesting one. I have had several experiences where I have been in the right place, at the right time, in the right wind with a deer so close, I could spit on it. The feeling of my heart pounding and adrenaline pumping is like no other because deer don't just walk up to you unless you have them fooled. (well, I did see a vid last year of a young buck licking a hunter posted by an HPA member. That was crazy but most of the time, it's unnatural). Archery is my main season. Mostly Early Archery. Can't seem to get my hiney out in the bitter cold in the late season. I'll see if I can do it this year! lol

I love small game squirrel too! I remember harvesting my first squirrel with the same gun my dad used and calling him and telling him what I did. He said I'll never forget it and I could take you all to the spot where I harvested him and show you the tree he was glued to the side of.

As for hunting with a partner, I have a few people I love to hunt with. My dad is number one. He has been a big hunter all his life and I will never forget when he'd bring the deer home and we would sit in the garage and I'd watch him skin his deer. It's something I did from an early age. He would cut his antlers off and feed the cat the brain and we'd take the meat upstairs and I'd sit on the counter by my dad and watch him meticulously seperate the muscles and make his cuts, wrap and paper and mark his cuts and freeze them. I've learned so much from just watching him that I process my own and help him do his to this day. I didn't get to hunt with Dad last year because of his health but this year looks good.

My brother my other hunting partner. Love this guy to death! We beat up the woods last year and didn't harvest a deer but we tried and came out closer. We made a deal with each other that if either one of us got one, we would split it. That's how desperate we were. Our private land was run over by the gas companies and it had the deer just running scarce. This year should be better since it's been over a year since their completion.

My son and my step son. We have plans of some serious small game squirrel hunting this year! Can't wait! Oh and some of you guys may remember that buck my son took in 2009. He hasn't harvested since.

I also like to hunt alone. Archery season is my time alone. There is something about watching the sun rise and fall in the woods that brings me closer to God and know that everything will be okay. I know tomorrow is never promised but tomorrow always comes. This year, I'm looking forward to it more than ever. I've had some difficult times this past year and and the woods are my prozac. lol May even have a good silent cry when I get settled in just to let it all go and know that God is watching over me and it'll all be okay.

I'm going to use this week to grab my license and doe tags and buy a new hat my 1 year old German Rottweiler decided to eat. I'll be heading down to the shop to have 3 arrows fletched cuz money is tight but they are still usable after close inspection. I'll pick up some broadheads and if I forget anything then I'll just cope through it like I always do. I can't wait!

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 01:57 AM
New Arrival

so glad someone finally started a topic like this!

I would say my favorite weapon is my remington 870 shot gun. Although my new bow is coming in a close second. I have been hunting since i was young, but this will be my first year hunting deer with a bow!

I would have to say my favorite game to hunt would have to be turkey. So mysterious, so smart, I can never get ahead... I won't say I'm any good at it, but there is nothing more beautiful than seeing the sunrise over a spring morning with the distant sounds of a gobbler getting closer, and closer...

Hunting buddies would include dad, brother, and a few of my girlfriends. I cherish all the memories i have made hunting with all of them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Regular Visitor

Nobody tell my bow this, (you know, with archery starting this Saturday) but I LOVE my Savage model 16 bearhunter 300wsm. It is my first rifle and i'm sure that sways my opinion just a bit. I just got it this year, so i havent got her out hunting yet. I was using my boyfriends .270 last year. My Savage definitely has less kick then that .270 and a mucch nicer trigger.

I don't know if I have much of a favorite game to hunt. I've mostly just hunted deer and turkey. What I really want is a moose. Honestly though, I just love hunting. It doesn't matter what I am out to hunt, just that I am out there.

My boyfriend. Even though he is my only hunting buddy, he is still my favorite. My boyfirend is the one that took me out hunting my first time. I busted my nose and shot my first deer that day. I've gone hunting with him and his friends a few times. That is always a good time too. Just recently though, my 12yr old twin cousins went and took their hunter safety course with my aunt. Those boys may very well take over title of favorite hunting buddy as long as they can stay quiet in the woods. Haha
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

I have soooooo been slapped hard in the face by a branch that bloodied me between the eyes!

I took my son squirrel hunting and decided to twist his ear on his behavior while out in the woods. He said, MOM! You're scaring the squirrels away! STOP IT!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Regular Visitor

That branch had to hurt. Besides the smack, the surprise had to have stung. Lol I actually busted my nose on the scope when I shot the doe. Blood everywhere!!! Very memorable first deer/ first time hunting experience.

Oh that's hilarious! I wouldn't have been able to not laugh at that.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

I'm sure it won't be the last self inflicted branch injury.

Kids are so much fun out in the woods.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 11:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

Ok I will jump in on this to . I have been hunting since I was 12 . Now I am 58 . WoW I am getting old . I was hunting with a 270 for years . Got a few deer with it . Well this past mothers day my husband brought me a 7mm08 . for a surprise . So I have retired my 270 to the gun safe . With my other guns . Now On the other hand I do hunt archery and I have a hoyt vixcen bow . oh my god I love that bow . Than for muzzle loader season I hunt with a 50 cal flint lock . I do love to hunt white tail. But the guys I hunt with have talked me into hunting black bear with them . This will be my 3rd year black bear hunting .
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Regular Visitor

Oh Vicki, I bet bear hunting is exciting! Have you gotten any?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Frequent Contributor

No not yet . Last year was close . But our friend that was hunting with us shot one right beside me . He felt bad . I told him no big deal . He did not relize I was in my treestand . when the guys chased it up to me .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page