Whats your draw weight? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Whats your draw weight?

This will be my first time bow hunting this year, just actually started hunting late last year. I wanted to get a bow so I could go out for archery. My boyfriend advised me to get a crossbow, so I did. He thought I might do better with it than a compound and honestly it sounded like a good idea. I was good with it, but it was not very challenging and I really wanted something different. Sold the crossbow about a month ago and bought a Bowtech Heartbreaker. Itís no Jewel, but for now, the $400 price difference won. It turns out that I love my Bowtech. Now we initially set the draw weight at 40lbs. Just over the weekend we bumped it up to 42.5lbs. The goal is to eventually be comfortable with 50lbs. Since I know absolutely no other women hunters, I was wondering where some other girlís draw weights were set. With my shorter than the average manís draw length, there seems to be more pressure for a heavier draw weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 02:18 PM

Re: Whats your draw weight?

Welcome to the site first of all ! If you are comfortable with the lower end of weight stay with it until it is second nature at 20-30 yards . When it is cold out there pulling your bow is not as easy . Best of luck....Finn

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

My buddy's wife can draw my 61#bow and not struggle but her bow is set at 40 # and she kills deer every year with most shots complete pass throughs.Stay with the 40# pull and find an arrow/broadhead combination that delivers good accuracy and good kinetic energy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks Finn! I understand the coldness factor and being able to pull the weight comfortably. I have just been curious to know what weight other girls are pulling. Like i said, everyone i know who hunts are guys. The lowest they are pulling is maybe 60lbs. I definitely will keep it where i am comfortable with it.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

I plan on getting my arrows weighed this weekend so i can figure out what kind of kinetic energy i am working with now. I wasn't having any trouble with the 40lbs, thats why we uped it a tad. I was able to shoot comfortably around 30 times before my arm started to get tired.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Frequent Contributor

When you find your arrow weight here is a calculator for KE

http://archerycalculator.com/archery...um-calculator/
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 01:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

Hey welcome to the web site . My name is vicki and I shoot a hoyt vixcen . I am set at 45lbs right now moving up to 50lbs here shortly . I found a nice set of broad heads at duhams sport goods last weekend they are for women who shoot under 50 lbs
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Hey Vicki! I'm Santina. Really, broadheads for women who shoot under 50lbs? Who makes them? I never heard of such a thing. Well I know Rage has ones for low draw weight, but I don't think ill be using them this year.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 02:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

I shoot 55lbs because I don't like to struggle and it will still put an arrow clean through a deer. I think the test is not so much that you can draw back, but holding it at full draw for a 30 seconds to a minute without shaking or letting it go forward is a more practical guideline. Use a decent cut on contact head and you'll have no problems. Magnus Stingers, slick trick razor tricks, something like that. Just stay away from mechanical heads with the lower draw weight.

The more people that I meet, the more I love my dog
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 12:23 AM
Frequent Contributor

The Queen wasp archery 75 grains . they are for women who shoot bows below 55 pounds
wasparchery.com i got mine at dunhams sporting goods 34.99 for pack of 3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page