Update on Too Old? Post - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Update on Too Old? Post

Several weeks ago I posted a message on the forum, asking whether I was too old - at age 51 - to learn to shoot and hunt. I was given a lot of encouragement by members here, so I'd like to update those who remember that post.

I have learned to shoot. My husband and I have had about four hours of instruction time, with an NRA instructor, learning to shoot a shotgun. I have my own gun now, a Remington 11-87 20 gauge, and I go to the range each week for practice. My husband decided he preferred a rifle, so he has a .22 Marlin.

We're too inexperienced yet to attempt a hunt this fall, but we're looking forward to the spring turkey season. My next step is to attempt turkey calls. Well, that oughta be fun! We'll see how that works out.

Well, I just wanted to thank everyone once again for your help and encouragement. It made it easier to take that first step.

LadyPatriot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 01:13 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Update on Too Old? Post

Mathews DXT
HHA sight
Quick Tune 3000
Beaman 340
2 Blade Rage

TC venture .270 win.
Bushnell Elite 3200
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 01:42 AM
The Man

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!

You are never too old to get started!!!!

Get you and the hubby enrolled in a Hunter Safety Course---There may not be any until Spring but you could check your area on the PGC's web page. You will get some good instruction there!!

Good Luck and glad to have you in our ranks!!

Dave

ONLY THE DUMBEST SHEEP ELECT THEIR BUTCHERS

3D in PA
7R in NY
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Very cool! What marlin rifle did he end up with? One could write a whole library of books on all there is to know about .22 rimfire LOL

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the update! Can't wait to see some turkey pics in the spring. Best of luck to you.

Now where have we seen this before??
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Sage

Fantastic! Glad to hear you are shooting and liking it!

Welcome to the ranks!

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

Yeah glad to see another female hunter . You never to old . I am older than you . I still hunt I love the outdoors . I have been sick this bow season I have been out though . But have had a couple of misses on does. Because of the cough . They tested me for the pig flu had to miss work and hunting for that but tests came back fine . Just can't get rid of the cough. There is a big one I am after won't say how many pts.just can't get the fellow close enough . He had me really rattled the other night caught me off guard . I was watching a doe when he poped up from no were . He didnot even bother with her. she all but shoved her tail in his face . He could have gave a rat's behind about her oh my his neck is swelled up . He is a dandy . I am trying to keep my cool on this one hoping to bag him .
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Sage

good luck!

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Ladypatriot - Good Luck and I hope both you and your husband enjoy the time together outdoors. See you mention that your husband decided on a rifle and plans to hunt turkeys this coming spring season. Note that just shotguns, muzzleloading shotguns and bows are permitted in the spring. The use of rifles is allowed only during the fall. All the regulations are accessible through the Pennsylvania Game Commission website. (In addition, you may want to also get familiar with the blaze orange requirements). Hope you have a great time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page