Getting her started - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Getting her started

I'm looking to get my future wife into hunting. We live together with our children ( all boys) So she around all of my hunting items and she shows great interest. She loves the outdoors. I just don't know where to start as far as clothing ( right fit,etc) and gear for her. She is small framed and I don't want to have her shoot one of my guns that would be too much for her and scare her away. Any help here ladies would be great.

A government that doesn't trust it's law abidding citizens to bear arms is unworthy of trust itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 11:10 AM
New Arrival

Re: Getting her started

Thats the same way I started... My husband got me a youth browning bow and the two of us started going to bow shoots in the summer as our "dates". It was a great way for the two of us to spend time together with out the kids! With the clothing start looking late spring early summer for things on sale. I have found the clothing for us is so expensive! But I love my mossy oak outfit. Its camo but it has pink lineing inside so i still get to have my girlie side, and thats what i have done with everything just let her still have a hint of girlie into it! With the gun im still a little iffy. the noise scares me but im sure once i start to practice it will be the same way as shooting the bow, just something to get used too. my husband had me shooting a 12gauge and it was ok for me just make sure you tell her what is going to happen(mine didnt and i was scaed to death) but for christmas and i got a mossberg 500 20 gauge and thats my baby!But just have fun with it dont push her to hard it was the greatest thing for my husband and i to start doing together! Good Luck
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 02:53 PM
New Arrival

Not sure about any good answers, but I find myself wanting to do more and learn more. My boy friend has taught me so much but their's times that I just want to try and do thnings. I realize I'm new at all of it bow, gun but Im so willing. He's planning a Elk hunt and says I need to be in good shape for that(how or what can I do to do that).That's my question to all of you. Want to be able to share with him that I can and will..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Sage

If she's small, youth clothing works very well. I wear a 16 youth, and far less expensive than women's clothing.

I say encourrage her to go to Women in the Outdoors events. They are a fantastic way for women to learn in a comfortable environment.

Then, take her out for groundhog or small game. She'll be addicted before you know it!

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 11:58 PM
New Arrival

I'm smaller framed myself. I'm about 5'0 tall. I get all my hunting clothes at gander mountain. They can have a decent collection sometimes at the store. You also have the option of shopping online if you have a good idea of what size she'd be. Getting her used to guns, I liked taking a women's self defense/shooting class that was put on by the NRA at my dad's fish and game club. Not sure if you have one in your area but check it out and see if they have something similar. It was nice because of having instructors and having a wide variety of guns to shoot.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Awesome ideas thank you ladies

A government that doesn't trust it's law abidding citizens to bear arms is unworthy of trust itself.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Sage

Very welcome. Another good idea is to ask her what SHE would like to do!

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 01:40 PM
New Arrival

My wife found that the large boys clothing was more comfortable for her then some of the ladys. The bow was what she wanted and what worked best for her. For the gun we went with a Savage 110 in .243. Took it to the shop and customized the stock for her (cut off about 2.5 inches and put on a 1.2" rubber recoil pad). She has used if for deer and chucks with great success. Shotgun ended up being the Winchester ladies/youth model in 20 gauge. So far she has been happy with all of her choices.

As galthatfishes said, let her decide what she wants to do and help out however you can.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 10:03 PM

Cabelas for women's hunting clothing.

My shotgun is a Stoeger Condor youth 20 gauge,
18 1/2" barrel and a short youth stock.

My husband got my rifle ported and a kik eez pad put on it.
Noisy but very little kick.
Oh yah, I am 110 lbs and can shoot that rifle a .300 remington short mag. all day long.
Porting is definitely the way to go, a .308 shoots like a .222.

Tried a bunch of other stuff but this is what worked for me.

Jane L

Hunt Hard - Hunt Smart
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Are any of you ladies attending the WITO event in June at Ontelanuee Rod and Gun club ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page