How about small game thread....How are we doing? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

How about small game thread....How are we doing?

Today was my first day out small game hunting with my hubby. I love small game hunting. I love the moderate weather, the smell of Fall. I love the acorns dropping, the chipmunks gathering playing and fighting, the mice and voles peaking up at your from your feet.....

First harvest of the season goes to MOM!! One fox squirrel for the game dinner saturday before Bear Season. The husband also got a bonus ground hog. He will be pot pie!!

I would love to keep track of how we are doing out there girls or just your thoughts while out there in the woods.

Angela

Hey! Possum are fur bearers too!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Sage

Re: How about small game thread....How are we doing?

Great thread Angela. While I haven't harvested anything, I did get several kids out there, and many pheasants have been taken as well as some squirrels.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 11:15 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyFoothold
First harvest of the season goes to MOM!! One fox squirrel for the game dinner saturday before Bear Season. The husband also got a bonus ground hog. He will be pot pie!!

I would love to keep track of how we are doing out there girls or just your thoughts while out there in the woods.

Angela
Sounds like a great day. I can't wait until I can get out for some small game. My favorites are squirrels and upland game birds.( I don't shoot the birds but have fun with the dog)

If you don't know it already just a word of caution with the groundhog,they carry hepatitis. I eat everything we kill but I will pass on groundhogs since I have a friend that is involved with health issues with them. Don't want to put a damper on a great day but hepatitis isn't something I'd want to get. I wouldn't risk it even in a pressure cooker, but that's just me. Maybe I wash my hands too much too. Glad you had fun, sounds like a day I've been itching to get out but my son does archery and has hogged our little patch of woods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

I had never heard that about groundhogs. How would they contract Hepatitis? I am a nurse and I am puzzled. I would love more info about this one! Now I am picturing a groundhog flop house with needle sharing and heavy drinking!

Thanks for the heads up I will have to check it out!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyFoothold
Now I am picturing a groundhog flop house with needle sharing and heavy drinking!

That only happens with kangaroos.....nasty buggers!

Seriously, the WHV (Woodchuck Hepatitis Virus)is a virus very similar to HBV, the human hepatitis B virus, but Humans don't get hepatitis from woodchucks with WHV.

Woodchucks are the best available animal model for hepatitis B studies, ecause the woodchuck virus has a nearly identical effect on woodchuck livers as does human hepatitis B virus on human livers -- except that time is compressed. Disease processes that take 30 to 40 years in humans occur in three to four years in woodchucks. The only other animal model for HBV studies is the chimpanzee, an endangered species.

In Memory of LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10
Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks Dingo for clearing that up!! I was sort of puzzled about the whole thing and was planning on calling my contact at the USDA tomorrow to check on it. I know several people who swear by eating woodchuck and I had never heard of WHV. Awesome that we can do studies on hepatitis without harming an endangered species and I am encouraged that others who hunt show concern for such issues.

Gal, awesome that you had youth out hunting!! We have been taking Em out. It is good practice for her and a good gauge for us that she is still not quite ready to go deer hunting. She is still a little wiggly and gets cold and bored easily. I am anxious to get her out there hunting deer with us and had hoped that this was the year but being a proper mentor mandates that it is in her time not mine! I want to foster a lifelong love of the outdoors and ethical practices. Forcing her into something she is not ready for would more likely sour her to the whole deal. She was disapointed when I said this was not her deer hunting year and she has been a little more attentive small game hunting and sharing the duck/goose blind as an observer.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 06:57 PM

Never ceases to amaze me the things you can find out about on this site. Who would of thought it. Hepatitis in woodchucks.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 08:37 AM

My husband and I run own and breed beagles.
We currently have 6.
We run them all year long and hunt rabbits and hare almost every day available.
We also field trial them.
3 of the 6 are champions in various trial areas.
Although we measure our successes on the performance of the dogs and not on our success I have taken about a dozen rabbits this year and handled our latest champion Maggie at on the day that she finished her requirements to be an AKC field champion.

Got my limit this day

Took a young hunter this day

Maggie the day she finished to FC.

Jane Lipko

Hunt Hard - Hunt Smart
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Sage

Greast! Congrats!

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Awesome Rabbit Runner!!! Thank you for taking a Youth out as well!! Beagles and kids are near and dear to my heart! You are hanging with an awesome crowd!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page